News, Uncategorized

News Briefs 10/26: USpeak, Voter Registration, First Aid Certification, PBS President to Speak

USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance Series

Becka Mara McKay will perform at the next USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance Series on Monday at Books & Books in Coral Gables at 7 p.m. McKay directs the Master of Fine Arts Program in Creative Writing at Florida Atlantic University and has written a poetry book as well as several translations of Hebrew literature. Books & Books is located at 265 Aragon Ave. in Coral Gables.

Voter Registration 

The university is hosting a voter registration drive at the Lakeside Patio Stage on Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Anyone looking to register must bring valid state-issued photo identification.

First Aid Certification

For $35, students can sign up to take the Red Cross First Aid certification course at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

PBS President to speak

Paula Kerger, president and CEO of PBS, will be giving a talk about public media at 11:30 a.m. on Nov. 2 in Shoma Hall (room 3053) as part of the School of Communication’s Annual Conversation Series. Professor Paul Driscoll will moderate a Q&A session between Kerger and students.

William Riggin

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...