Administration, News

Director of Cuban Collections joins HistoryMiami Museum

Maria

Maria Estorino

The Richter Library’s extensive collection of historic Cuban documents, artifacts and books will be under the care of a new director after the departure of Maria Estorino.

Estorino officially became the director of Collections Management and Programming at the HistoryMiami Museum on Oct. 5. She spent the last 14 years with UM, most recently serving as interim head of special collections and director of the Cuban Heritage Collection (CHC), located on the second floor of Richter Library. Meiyolet Méndez is serving as the interim head of special collections for the CHC at Richter while Estorino’s successor is selected.

“[The CHC] is a library and an archive dedicated to collecting items from not only Cuba but [also]the Cuban diaspora,” Estorino said. 

The Cuban diaspora happened between 1960 and 1980, when thousands of Cubans escaped communism and came to America, a large number of them settling in South Florida. She attributes the collection’s popularity to the large Cuban presence in South Florida.

Her new position at the HistoryMiami Museum is vice president of museum collections. In this position, she focuses on the extensive photo archives, architectural records and family and business papers that make up Miami’s history.

“[The museum] is a place you can come in and study Miami’s history more seriously,” Estorino said. “Being able to collect, preserve and provide access to collections is the most fundamental thing.”

As an undergraduate, Estorino studied history before obtaining her degree in library science, which focuses on the organization and maintenance of archives. An internship at the Smithsonian Institution museum complex in Washington, D.C. during her studies helped to further her interest in the museum field. Estorino said she is intrigued by how historical items help to tie historical events together.

“Working with artifacts and collections as a whole, it’s interesting how they help us tell stories,” she said. 

HistoryMiami plans to take advantage of Estorino’s extensive knowledge of Miami to source artifacts and important documents. Estorino will also serve as a liaison between the museum and the greater Miami community.

“Maria will emphasize making our collections discoverable and accessible to the community and provide expertise on strategically collecting materials in our community that help support the museum’s mission to tell Miami stories,” Museum Director Jose Zamanillo said.

In order to build on the collection, Estorino is getting acquainted with her new workplace and the collection the museum has curated over the years.

The Cuban Heritage Collection at Richter library, directed by Maria Estorino, archives items from Cuba and the Cuban Diaspora. The collection aims to tell stories of the community. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Matthew Berkowitz

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...