Aspire to be more than just ‘chill’

Whenever I ask my twin brother about a girl he likes or overhear a guy tell his friends about someone he’s interested in, they always say the same thing: “She’s so chill.”

The concept of “chill” is something along the lines of “relaxed and going with the flow,” or at least it is according to Urban Dictionary.

But girls, or anyone else, shouldn’t aspire to just be “chill.” We should want to be known as something more.

On the surface, describing someone as “chill” is a compliment. Someone who is “relaxed and goes with flow” seems like someone who’s easy to be around. Sure, no one wants to date someone who is completely neurotic, but is it so wrong if people actually care about things? A chill person probably wouldn’t call someone out for a sexist or racist comment and wouldn’t complain if she’s in an uncomfortable situation. But is that a good thing?

I am not chill.

My twin brother once told me, “Rachel you CARE about everything,” and I have countless interests that I feel very passionately about. I am genuinely more excited about the new “Star Wars” movie than my impending graduation this December, and will most likely cry at some point during the premiere. I also care about political and social issues. A coworker of mine told me that I should make a rant channel on YouTube, and I understood why he suggested it. There are countless issues I can discuss, ranging from the killing of dolphins in Japan to the lack of gun control in this country. There are so many topics that I get excited about, like the arrival of “The Winds of Winter,” but also a lot of things that piss me off, like Donald Trump.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing not to be “chill.”  Everyone who ever mattered in history went against the grain, from the founding fathers of our country, to the Beatles, to Stephen Hawking. They all dared to be different. So, please, stop describing the people you like as “chill.” They are smart, passionate, creative and kind, and they deserve to be considered so much more than just … chill.

Rachel Berquist is a senior majoring in English and psychology.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user StockSnap

Rachel Berquist

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol