Football, Sports

Al Golden fired as Miami Hurricanes head coach

Al Golden has been fired as head coach of the Hurricanes football team, the team announced Sunday night. Assistant coach Larry Scott will take over as interim head coach for the rest of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” athletic director Blake James said in a statement.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Twitter reacts to Golden getting fired

Below is the announcement from the school.

“University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced today that he has relieved Head Football Coach Al Golden of his duties effective immediately.  Assistant coach Larry Scott will serve as the Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community.” James said.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Recruits, former Hurricane players react to Golden getting fired

Golden was 32-25 in his five seasons at the helm of the UM program and led the Canes to two bowl games in 2013 and 2014.

“On behalf of my family I want to thank the University of Miami for a tremendous opportunity,” Golden said.  “I believe in what we are doing and how we are doing it and we have some outstanding young men in our football program.  Though this moment is difficult, we wish the Canes the best of luck going forward.”

Scott has served as the tight ends coach and run game coordinator for the past three seasons at Miami, after spending eight seasons at the University of South Florida.”

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...