Football, Sports

Al Golden fired as Miami Hurricanes head coach

Al Golden has been fired as head coach of the Hurricanes football team, the team announced Sunday night. Assistant coach Larry Scott will take over as interim head coach for the rest of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” athletic director Blake James said in a statement.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Twitter reacts to Golden getting fired

Below is the announcement from the school.

“University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced today that he has relieved Head Football Coach Al Golden of his duties effective immediately.  Assistant coach Larry Scott will serve as the Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community.” James said.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Recruits, former Hurricane players react to Golden getting fired

Golden was 32-25 in his five seasons at the helm of the UM program and led the Canes to two bowl games in 2013 and 2014.

“On behalf of my family I want to thank the University of Miami for a tremendous opportunity,” Golden said.  “I believe in what we are doing and how we are doing it and we have some outstanding young men in our football program.  Though this moment is difficult, we wish the Canes the best of luck going forward.”

Scott has served as the tight ends coach and run game coordinator for the past three seasons at Miami, after spending eight seasons at the University of South Florida.”

Mark Singer

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...