Football, Sports

Al Golden fired as Miami Hurricanes head coach

Al Golden has been fired as head coach of the Hurricanes football team, the team announced Sunday night. Assistant coach Larry Scott will take over as interim head coach for the rest of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” athletic director Blake James said in a statement.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Twitter reacts to Golden getting fired

Below is the announcement from the school.

“University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced today that he has relieved Head Football Coach Al Golden of his duties effective immediately.  Assistant coach Larry Scott will serve as the Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community.” James said.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Recruits, former Hurricane players react to Golden getting fired

Golden was 32-25 in his five seasons at the helm of the UM program and led the Canes to two bowl games in 2013 and 2014.

“On behalf of my family I want to thank the University of Miami for a tremendous opportunity,” Golden said.  “I believe in what we are doing and how we are doing it and we have some outstanding young men in our football program.  Though this moment is difficult, we wish the Canes the best of luck going forward.”

Scott has served as the tight ends coach and run game coordinator for the past three seasons at Miami, after spending eight seasons at the University of South Florida.”

Mark Singer

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas