Football, Sports

Al Golden fired as Miami Hurricanes head coach

Al Golden has been fired as head coach of the Hurricanes football team, the team announced Sunday night. Assistant coach Larry Scott will take over as interim head coach for the rest of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” athletic director Blake James said in a statement.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Twitter reacts to Golden getting fired

Below is the announcement from the school.

“University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced today that he has relieved Head Football Coach Al Golden of his duties effective immediately.  Assistant coach Larry Scott will serve as the Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the 2015 season.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community.” James said.  “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships.  I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

See More: Recruits, former Hurricane players react to Golden getting fired

Golden was 32-25 in his five seasons at the helm of the UM program and led the Canes to two bowl games in 2013 and 2014.

“On behalf of my family I want to thank the University of Miami for a tremendous opportunity,” Golden said.  “I believe in what we are doing and how we are doing it and we have some outstanding young men in our football program.  Though this moment is difficult, we wish the Canes the best of luck going forward.”

Scott has served as the tight ends coach and run game coordinator for the past three seasons at Miami, after spending eight seasons at the University of South Florida.”

Mark Singer

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...