Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Win over Hokies acts as ‘statement victory’ for Canes

Dreams of a possible national championship were wiped out after the Miami Hurricanes were defeated by the Florida State Seminoles. On the other hand, the 30-20 victory over the Virginia Tech Hokies snapped a two-game losing streak and provided the Canes with their first Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) win of the year.

Turnovers played a key part in the Hurricanes’ win on Saturday. It started in the first quarter when Hokies quarterback Brenden Motley fumbled on a run play, and the Canes took over at the Hokies’ three-yard line. The next play, running back Joseph Yearby ran it into the end zone, giving the Canes an early 7-0 lead.

After the two teams traded field goals, Motley found running back Travon McMillian for a nine-yard touchdown catch, ending the first quarter with a 10-10 tie.

The game appeared to go into the half tied 13-13, as the Canes were running the football from around their 25-yard line. All of a sudden, the Hokies jumped offsides, giving the Canes a free play as Canes quarterback Brad Kaaya threw a deep pass to wide receiver Herb Waters. This eventually led to a seven-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Rashawn Scott.

Many of the drives in the first half lasted three to five minutes, as the Canes only got three possessions in the second quarter.

Motley would throw two interceptions in the third quarter, but this only led to a field goal giving the Canes a 23-13 lead.

Another touchdown pass from Kaaya to Scott gave the Canes a 30-20 lead late in the ball game.

The win was sealed after CB Artie Burns got his second interception of the day late in the fourth quarter.

Overall, it was a well fought game, but the four turnovers by the Hokies handed the Canes the points that triggered the difference.

Why is this considered a statement victory? The Canes start the Coastal conference 1-0 and have a chance of going undefeated, which will put them in the ACC title game.

If the Canes were somehow able to run the table and defeat potentially FSU or Clemson in the ACC title game, Miami would be placed in a major bowl game. That would be something special for Hurricane football fans.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...