Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Win over Hokies acts as ‘statement victory’ for Canes

Dreams of a possible national championship were wiped out after the Miami Hurricanes were defeated by the Florida State Seminoles. On the other hand, the 30-20 victory over the Virginia Tech Hokies snapped a two-game losing streak and provided the Canes with their first Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) win of the year.

Turnovers played a key part in the Hurricanes’ win on Saturday. It started in the first quarter when Hokies quarterback Brenden Motley fumbled on a run play, and the Canes took over at the Hokies’ three-yard line. The next play, running back Joseph Yearby ran it into the end zone, giving the Canes an early 7-0 lead.

After the two teams traded field goals, Motley found running back Travon McMillian for a nine-yard touchdown catch, ending the first quarter with a 10-10 tie.

The game appeared to go into the half tied 13-13, as the Canes were running the football from around their 25-yard line. All of a sudden, the Hokies jumped offsides, giving the Canes a free play as Canes quarterback Brad Kaaya threw a deep pass to wide receiver Herb Waters. This eventually led to a seven-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Rashawn Scott.

Many of the drives in the first half lasted three to five minutes, as the Canes only got three possessions in the second quarter.

Motley would throw two interceptions in the third quarter, but this only led to a field goal giving the Canes a 23-13 lead.

Another touchdown pass from Kaaya to Scott gave the Canes a 30-20 lead late in the ball game.

The win was sealed after CB Artie Burns got his second interception of the day late in the fourth quarter.

Overall, it was a well fought game, but the four turnovers by the Hokies handed the Canes the points that triggered the difference.

Why is this considered a statement victory? The Canes start the Coastal conference 1-0 and have a chance of going undefeated, which will put them in the ACC title game.

If the Canes were somehow able to run the table and defeat potentially FSU or Clemson in the ACC title game, Miami would be placed in a major bowl game. That would be something special for Hurricane football fans.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.