Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Win over Hokies acts as ‘statement victory’ for Canes

Dreams of a possible national championship were wiped out after the Miami Hurricanes were defeated by the Florida State Seminoles. On the other hand, the 30-20 victory over the Virginia Tech Hokies snapped a two-game losing streak and provided the Canes with their first Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) win of the year.

Turnovers played a key part in the Hurricanes’ win on Saturday. It started in the first quarter when Hokies quarterback Brenden Motley fumbled on a run play, and the Canes took over at the Hokies’ three-yard line. The next play, running back Joseph Yearby ran it into the end zone, giving the Canes an early 7-0 lead.

After the two teams traded field goals, Motley found running back Travon McMillian for a nine-yard touchdown catch, ending the first quarter with a 10-10 tie.

The game appeared to go into the half tied 13-13, as the Canes were running the football from around their 25-yard line. All of a sudden, the Hokies jumped offsides, giving the Canes a free play as Canes quarterback Brad Kaaya threw a deep pass to wide receiver Herb Waters. This eventually led to a seven-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Rashawn Scott.

Many of the drives in the first half lasted three to five minutes, as the Canes only got three possessions in the second quarter.

Motley would throw two interceptions in the third quarter, but this only led to a field goal giving the Canes a 23-13 lead.

Another touchdown pass from Kaaya to Scott gave the Canes a 30-20 lead late in the ball game.

The win was sealed after CB Artie Burns got his second interception of the day late in the fourth quarter.

Overall, it was a well fought game, but the four turnovers by the Hokies handed the Canes the points that triggered the difference.

Why is this considered a statement victory? The Canes start the Coastal conference 1-0 and have a chance of going undefeated, which will put them in the ACC title game.

If the Canes were somehow able to run the table and defeat potentially FSU or Clemson in the ACC title game, Miami would be placed in a major bowl game. That would be something special for Hurricane football fans.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...