Golf, Sports

Women’s golf team closes out fall schedule with sixth place finish in Texas

Junior Daniela Darquea practices for the Betsey Rawls Invitational at the University of Texas, which took place on Monday and Tuesday. Darquea tied for sixth in the tournament. Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports.com

The No. 28-ranked women’s golf team finished sixth at the 2015 Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational after three rounds of play on Monday and Tuesday in Austin, Texas. The Hurricanes completed the last tournament of their fall schedule with a 54-hole score of 884 at the par 72, 6,298-yard University of Texas golf course.

The Canes did not have their best first two rounds as a team, but had a strong showing in round three to finish in the top half of the field.

Both freshman Dewi Weber and senior Kailey Walsh got off to fast starts in round one on Monday. Weber had a scorecard with a little of everything, including an eagle, three birdies, two bogeys and a double bogey to finish at one under par. Walsh also shot a 71, but with an eagle, four birdies and five bogeys.

Junior Daniela Darquea, the top-seeded player for the Canes, scored a solid 72, but junior Delfina Acosta and senior Christina Ocampo struggled, shooting a 77 and an 81, respectively.

Round two wasn’t much better, as every Cane failed to shoot under par. Acosta started off hot, birdieing four of her first five holes, but a heartbreaking quadruple bogey on the par-4 seventh hole clearly slowed down her pace. Acosta was the only Miami player to not shoot over par, finishing with an even 72 for the round.

The Canes sat in eighth place after two rounds. Weber led Miami heading into the final round tied for 16th.

Miami showed its resilience in round three on Tuesday, specifically Darquea and Weber. Darquea had a flawless round, finishing with four birdies and 14 pars for a score of 68. Weber also had a great round with four birdies and two bogeys that led her to a score of 70. Both players completed the tournament shooting a total three-round score of 216, good enough to be tied for sixth place.

The Canes’ next tournament will be in the spring, when they compete in the 2016 UCF Challenge on Feb. 7 in Orlando.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...