Golf, Sports

Women’s golf team closes out fall schedule with sixth place finish in Texas

Junior Daniela Darquea practices for the Betsey Rawls Invitational at the University of Texas, which took place on Monday and Tuesday. Darquea tied for sixth in the tournament. Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports.com

The No. 28-ranked women’s golf team finished sixth at the 2015 Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational after three rounds of play on Monday and Tuesday in Austin, Texas. The Hurricanes completed the last tournament of their fall schedule with a 54-hole score of 884 at the par 72, 6,298-yard University of Texas golf course.

The Canes did not have their best first two rounds as a team, but had a strong showing in round three to finish in the top half of the field.

Both freshman Dewi Weber and senior Kailey Walsh got off to fast starts in round one on Monday. Weber had a scorecard with a little of everything, including an eagle, three birdies, two bogeys and a double bogey to finish at one under par. Walsh also shot a 71, but with an eagle, four birdies and five bogeys.

Junior Daniela Darquea, the top-seeded player for the Canes, scored a solid 72, but junior Delfina Acosta and senior Christina Ocampo struggled, shooting a 77 and an 81, respectively.

Round two wasn’t much better, as every Cane failed to shoot under par. Acosta started off hot, birdieing four of her first five holes, but a heartbreaking quadruple bogey on the par-4 seventh hole clearly slowed down her pace. Acosta was the only Miami player to not shoot over par, finishing with an even 72 for the round.

The Canes sat in eighth place after two rounds. Weber led Miami heading into the final round tied for 16th.

Miami showed its resilience in round three on Tuesday, specifically Darquea and Weber. Darquea had a flawless round, finishing with four birdies and 14 pars for a score of 68. Weber also had a great round with four birdies and two bogeys that led her to a score of 70. Both players completed the tournament shooting a total three-round score of 216, good enough to be tied for sixth place.

The Canes’ next tournament will be in the spring, when they compete in the 2016 UCF Challenge on Feb. 7 in Orlando.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...