Opinion, Staff Editorial

Stronger alumni network needed to increase value of UM experience

This December, nearly 1,000 of us will walk at commencement and officially become alumni of the University of Miami. The sudden transition from student to alumni begs the question: what does it really mean to be a part of the Canes family after our time here is over?

Alumni have always held clout over universities, but this is especially true at private institutions such as UM, where alumni donations play a much bigger role in the school’s overall funding. While most of us are paying a hefty price out of pocket to attend this school, we must also recognize that a great deal of our experience at UM has benefited from the contributions of alumni. Academic scholarships, athletics, student programs and facilities like the Shalala Student Center and the Wellness Center have all been significantly boosted by alumni donations. Most recently, alumnus Thomas Murphy Jr.’s company has pledged a generous sum to build a new and much-needed architecture studio building.

No doubt, if we eventually have the ability, it would feel great to give back to future students in such a big way. Hated something about campus? Imagine making that problem disappear for the next generation of Canes. But writing a check is not the only way to make a valuable contribution. Offering professional connections, mentoring current students and participating in leadership within alumni organizations are all meaningful ways of taking pride in our alma mater.

As a relatively young school, it is extremely important that we add value to our degree by solidifying a strong, beneficial alumni network. Inching upon only our first century as an institution, we are lucky to still be in a window of time when we can shape that alumni reputation. Visible alumni who give back to the school not only provide resources for students, but also serve as testaments to what kind of success a UM degree can lead to.

The ideal collegiate experience in America is portrayed as a great source of pride, loyalty and camaraderie. Imagine having a college experience that will have us coming back for homecoming games, wearing our school colors and brainwashing our children to attend the best school in the world. We can only hope that many years down the road, we will be able to look back at our time at UM with that appreciation and enthusiasm. But improving the experiences of future graduates? That is something we can do.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...