Culture

Edge Briefs 10/22: Festival Miami, Colin Jost, Painting and Pitchers, ‘Ant-Man’

Festival Miami

From now until Nov. 7, Festival Miami is bringing a number of award-winning musicians to campus for a variety of concerts from jazz to Latin pop. Notable concerts include three-time Latin Grammy Award winner Natalia Lafourcade’s performance on Friday, Frost Symphony Orchestra’s “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” concert on Halloween night and hip-hop violin and viola duo Black Violin on Nov. 1.

A Night of Comedy with Colin Jost

Hurricane Productions, Student Government and the Rathskeller Advisory Board are hosting a comedy night with “Saturday Night Live” (SNL) writer and comedian Colin Jost on Thursday. Jost is in his third season as co-anchor of SNL’s “Weekend Update.” He has been nominated for several Emmy Awards for his writing on SNL and starred in the film “Staten Island Summer.” The event begins at 9 p.m. at the Rat.

Painting and Pitchers

Pick up a paintbrush and a pitcher of beer (or your favorite beverage) for an evening of art at the Rat on Friday. Show off your artsy side by painting your own masterpiece with friends at one of the two sessions at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. For those who are less artistically inclined, professionals will be available to help.

“Ant-Man”

The Cosford Cinema is showing Disney Studios and Marvel’s “Ant-Man” on Oct. 24 at 9:30 p.m. The movie follows master thief Scott Lang’s adventures as he uses his ability to shrink in size and increase in power. With Dr. Hank Pym, the two set out to protect the Ant-Man suit and encounter numerous obstacles and threats as they attempt to master a plan that can save the world.

Julia Garcia, creater and founder of Truality, shares a spoken word piece about her personal experiences in college as a way to motivate students to make positive decisions, especially when consuming alcohol. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...