Edge Briefs 10/22: Festival Miami, Colin Jost, Painting and Pitchers, ‘Ant-Man’

Festival Miami

From now until Nov. 7, Festival Miami is bringing a number of award-winning musicians to campus for a variety of concerts from jazz to Latin pop. Notable concerts include three-time Latin Grammy Award winner Natalia Lafourcade’s performance on Friday, Frost Symphony Orchestra’s “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” concert on Halloween night and hip-hop violin and viola duo Black Violin on Nov. 1.

A Night of Comedy with Colin Jost

Hurricane Productions, Student Government and the Rathskeller Advisory Board are hosting a comedy night with “Saturday Night Live” (SNL) writer and comedian Colin Jost on Thursday. Jost is in his third season as co-anchor of SNL’s “Weekend Update.” He has been nominated for several Emmy Awards for his writing on SNL and starred in the film “Staten Island Summer.” The event begins at 9 p.m. at the Rat.

Painting and Pitchers

Pick up a paintbrush and a pitcher of beer (or your favorite beverage) for an evening of art at the Rat on Friday. Show off your artsy side by painting your own masterpiece with friends at one of the two sessions at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. For those who are less artistically inclined, professionals will be available to help.

“Ant-Man”

The Cosford Cinema is showing Disney Studios and Marvel’s “Ant-Man” on Oct. 24 at 9:30 p.m. The movie follows master thief Scott Lang’s adventures as he uses his ability to shrink in size and increase in power. With Dr. Hank Pym, the two set out to protect the Ant-Man suit and encounter numerous obstacles and threats as they attempt to master a plan that can save the world.

Julia Garcia, creater and founder of Truality, shares a spoken word piece about her personal experiences in college as a way to motivate students to make positive decisions, especially when consuming alcohol. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...