Sports, Volleyball

Tar Heels snap Canes volleyball’s five-match winning streak

The women’s volleyball team had a rough afternoon against ACC rival North Carolina on Sunday, falling 3-0 in Chapel Hill.

The Canes dropped the first set 25-15, the second 25-21 and the third 25-16. The loss to the Tar Heels snapped a five-match winning streak for the Canes.

Despite trying to be aggressive from the start, Miami just made too many mistakes offensively to get the victory. The Canes had 30 more attacks than the Tar Heels but made 27 attack errors to 11 for North Carolina, which was the main difference in the match.

The Canes (12-6, 5-3) put themselves in a hole from the start and never led in the first set. Service and attack blunders held the team back, making points come easy for the Tar Heels.

Miami showed more fight in the second set, going neck and neck with North Carolina (9-8, 6-2). Freshman outside hitter Kolby Bird and sophomore outside hitter Olga Strantzali had some key kills, and senior defensive setter Kalysta White made digs that saved Miami early. The Canes took a 14-13 lead midway through the set, and tied it up again at 20, but could not keep the Tar Heels from getting the win.

The Canes failed again to lead at any point in the third and final set. The team continued to make offensive errors, and was unable to slow down the methodical play of North Carolina.

Miami struggled to stop the blocking of the Tar Heels, and had a hitting percentage of only .049. Bird led the Canes in kills with nine, White had the most digs with 12 and senior middle blocker Alexis Mourning had a team-high three blocks. Strantzali did a little of everything, adding eight kills, seven digs, two blocks and an ace.

The Canes will look to rebound from the loss when they face off against Boston College at 7 p.m. Friday at the Knight Sports Complex.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...