Sports, Volleyball

Tar Heels snap Canes volleyball’s five-match winning streak

The women’s volleyball team had a rough afternoon against ACC rival North Carolina on Sunday, falling 3-0 in Chapel Hill.

The Canes dropped the first set 25-15, the second 25-21 and the third 25-16. The loss to the Tar Heels snapped a five-match winning streak for the Canes.

Despite trying to be aggressive from the start, Miami just made too many mistakes offensively to get the victory. The Canes had 30 more attacks than the Tar Heels but made 27 attack errors to 11 for North Carolina, which was the main difference in the match.

The Canes (12-6, 5-3) put themselves in a hole from the start and never led in the first set. Service and attack blunders held the team back, making points come easy for the Tar Heels.

Miami showed more fight in the second set, going neck and neck with North Carolina (9-8, 6-2). Freshman outside hitter Kolby Bird and sophomore outside hitter Olga Strantzali had some key kills, and senior defensive setter Kalysta White made digs that saved Miami early. The Canes took a 14-13 lead midway through the set, and tied it up again at 20, but could not keep the Tar Heels from getting the win.

The Canes failed again to lead at any point in the third and final set. The team continued to make offensive errors, and was unable to slow down the methodical play of North Carolina.

Miami struggled to stop the blocking of the Tar Heels, and had a hitting percentage of only .049. Bird led the Canes in kills with nine, White had the most digs with 12 and senior middle blocker Alexis Mourning had a team-high three blocks. Strantzali did a little of everything, adding eight kills, seven digs, two blocks and an ace.

The Canes will look to rebound from the loss when they face off against Boston College at 7 p.m. Friday at the Knight Sports Complex.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...