Football, Sports

Senior linebacker Raphael Kirby out for season

Kirby

Kirby

Senior linebacker and team captain Raphael Kirby is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, the team announced Sunday night.

Kirby left the field at the 6:54 mark in the third quarter of Miami’s 30-20 win over Virginia Tech on Saturday. Kirby, who leads the Hurricanes with 44 tackles, was running toward tight end Kevin Cline when his right knee buckled. The leader of the defense did not even wait until the end of the play to call Miami’s trainers onto the field.

“I’m crushed,” Head Coach Al Golden said in a teleconference call Sunday night. “He represents what we want in a Miami Hurricane. He’s a leader, unselfish and a big part of who we are.”

Kirby will undergo major season-ending surgery on Wednesday. The 6-foot-1, 238-pound native of Stone Mountain, Georgia is the third Canes linebacker lost for the season. Sophomore Darrion Owens is out for the year with a knee injury of his own, and sophomore Marques Gayot suffered a season-ending neck injury in practice nearly a month ago.

Golden said sophomore defensive lineman Trent Harris and redshirt freshman Terry McCray are capable of playing Kirby’s “Mike” linebacker role. Sophomore linebacker Juwon Young came in for Kirby against the Hokies and made his first career interception shortly after entering the game.

“Kirby’s always telling me to stay on his level, so I try to beat him out at practice, and it just helped me a lot in the game when it was my time,” Young said after Saturday’s game. “I got to be the captain [with Kirby out]. That’s it. Point blank, period. I’m the ‘Mike’ of the defense.”

Kirby was one of 51 players named to the preseason watch list for the 2015 Butkus Award, which is given to the top linebacker in college football.

Mark Singer

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...