Omicron Delta Kappa taps outstanding individuals, provides supportive network

After the ringing of a bell, students in black robes enter the room ready to admit a member of the university into their esteemed organization: Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) Society.

Throughout October, 37 new members, including both faculty and staff members, were tapped into ODK. ODK secretly entered classrooms and student meetings with their signature entrance to admit those who qualified. Members wore black robes to symbolize academic honors and ring the historical bell that was donated from a Navy ship.

To be considered for one of the highest distinctions and honors at UM, inductees have to be nominated by their peers.

“People submit their peers based on the criteria of the ideals of ODK,” ODK President Perihan Elbadrawi said. “Someone of good character, strong leader, dedicated to democratic ideal. They are nominated on one of five areas and their GPA must be in the top 35 percent.”

These five areas are scholarship, athletics, campus (community) service and campus government, journalism and creative and performing arts.

More often than not, prospective members do not know that they were nominated and will be just as surprised when ODK members arrive to announce the initiation.

“It’s a rewarding experience,” said Elbadrawi, a senior majoring in economics, political science and international studies. “When we come in to tap them in, we see their faces light up.”

A national leadership honor society, ODK recognizes any student, faculty, staff, administrator or alumni who has superior scholarship, leadership and exemplary character.

A staple organization of the university, ODK’s tradition has been recognized and respected by the Canes since 1949. Founders include former UM presidents Bowman Ashe and Jay Pearson, who helped to establish the honor society and make it one of the university’s Homecoming traditions.

As such, the famed ringing of the bell will open the ceremonies of Homecoming on Oct. 30.

Not only an honor society, the 67-member network also serves as an intersection point for student leaders.

“Our goal is to provide a network, both through current students and alumni in our University of Miami circle,” Elbadrawi said. “We want to create a good support system for student leaders.”

Featured image courtesy UM Omicron Delta Kappa

Marcus Lim

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...