Basketball, Sports

Forward Ivan Cruz Uceda ready for first full season as Hurricane

ivan_cruz_uceda

Cruz Uceda

After sitting out 16 games because of eligibility complications regarding NCAA transfer rules last season, forward Ivan Cruz Uceda is now prepared for the pace and physicality that marks the ACC conference. Entering his senior year, Uceda committed his off-season to prepare for the rigors of ACC play. The Madrid native has lost 20 pounds and reduced his body fat percentage from 24 to 9 percent.

Uceda excelled in two seasons at a junior college before transferring to Miami, setting school records for rebounds in a game (29) and career (635), while also leaving Harcum College as the fourth-highest scorer in its history with 957 points and sixth in blocked shots (76).

“It was hard at the beginning because I came from junior college, so coming to play from junior college to the ACC right away was really hard,” Uceda said. “I think it really helped me to be ready for this year and have an idea of what to expect.”

Because of his European background, the forward offers a unique skill set playing both inside and out. Although tall players are often perceived as disadvantaged when shooting three pointers, Uceda achieved a .339 three-point percentage, proving that his height only supplements his skill.

“I think as a 6-foot-10 guy, I can stretch the floor really good, so I can make more space down low for Tonye [Jekiri] or more guys who can dribble the ball on the way to the basket. I can help on the rebounds too,” Uceda said.

On the defensive side, Uceda has proven to be a promising rebounder and low post player. In his inaugural season for the Canes, he totaled 74 rebounds and held his own against some of the behemoths in the ACC.

With Uceda’s commitment and the addition of forward Kamari Murphy, Canes should see improvements on defense and on the boards – the two areas they struggled with last year.

Alyssa Cruz

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...