Basketball, Sports

Junior basketball player Jessica Thomas controls Canes’ offense

jessica_thomas_basketball

Thomas

Jessica Thomas will lead the Hurricanes from the point guard position this year. The 5-foot-6 junior has put up two very successful seasons for the Canes as a freshman and sophomore, and she will look to build upon that momentum heading into this season. Thomas is a prototypical point guard whose primary strength on offense is facilitating for others. She led the Hurricanes with 74 total assists last year and is the team’s primary ball handler.

Thomas will also look for continued improvement from beyond the three-point line. As a freshman she shot 27 percent from the field, and last year she upped that to 29 percent while leading the team in three-pointers made with 45 on the season. With continued improvement, the junior could find herself averaging double figures in the scoring column this year, as she came close (9.3 points per game) last season.

Head Coach Katie Meier likes the way her point guard is playing with the season just a few weeks away.

“Right now, I think Jessica Thomas is playing at the highest level. She’s got a great motor, a great passion that just burns inside of her,” Meier said on Tuesday.

Thomas doesn’t only excel on the offensive end of the court. She plays relentless defense and the numbers show it. She has 61 total steals in her career and averaged 1.2 per game last year. Many would assume that her height would be a disadvantage on the basketball court, but it is quite the opposite. As a smaller guard, Thomas can get underneath opposing players and wreak havoc on the defensive end of the court.

With all this said, perhaps Thomas’s greatest strength lies in her durability. During her freshman campaign, she averaged 17 minutes per game and played in all 31 of the Canes’ contests. During her sophomore year she was thrown into the starting lineup and saw increased minutes. She was second on the team averaging 26.3 minutes per game. However, the extra run didn’t wear her down at all, as she started 32 out of 33 games for the Canes last season.

Thomas will likely be a major piece to the puzzle on a team that made the NCAA Tournament last year. When the Canes take the court this season, look for even more improvement from Thomas. Many of the team’s aspirations will hinge on how well their floor general plays, which is a good sign for the Canes this season.

Cody Brown

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...