Community, Crime and Safety, News

City of Coral Gables swears in Edward J. Hudak, Jr. as Police Chief

police_chief_swearing_in

Hudak, Jr.

The City of Coral Gables held a Swearing-in Ceremony for newly appointed Police Chief Edward J. Hudak, Jr. on Friday, Oct. 16, in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center Grand Ballroom. The hour-long ceremony consisted of an invocation from former pastor of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Coral Gables, Arnold Perry, oath remarks from City Manager Cathy Swanson-Rivenbark and remarks from the appointed chief himself, Edward J. Hudak, Jr. The event was led by the master of ceremonies, Pam Giganti, an NBC 6 news anchor and longtime friend of Hudak.

Hudak has been at CGPD since 1988 and was interim police chief for the last year before being given the permanent title in September. He has undergraduate and masters degrees from the University of Miami.

Giganti began the ceremony with a string of anecdotes detailing the various situations in which she would find herself asking, “what does Ed have to say?” The presentation of colors was then led by Sergeant Maurice Sikes and followed by both the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance.

Swanson-Rivenbark spoke about the many departments of Coral Gables and their accomplishments in the past 90 years, since the city’s creation.

“Each department, well represented, will take a quiet oath along with Chief Hudak,” she said.

As Hudak came up to take his oath into office, he was accompanied by his wife, Mrs. Alina Hudak, and his two daughters, Kristina Hudak and Jennifer Hudak, for the pinning of the badge.

Due to an emergency, guest speaker James K. Loftus was unable to attend the ceremony. In his place was Florida state attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle. Rundle spoke of the many attributes and accomplishments of Hudak throughout both his time as a student at at the UM and in his career in law enforcement for the City of Coral Gables.

Rundle said Hudak had three values in his life, “his family, the City of Coral Gables, and The University of Miami.”

Afterwards, Hudak came up to give his remarks. He spoke of his time at UM and how the school kept him here in Coral Gables, a city that eventually became his new home. Originally from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Hudak talked about coming from a European immigrant family and how being married to a Cuban influenced his life.

Hudak commented on the recent Black Lives Matter movement and stated that although black lives do in fact matter, so do “blue lives;” the lives of law enforcement. Chief Hudak understands the problems facing the department and pledges to be “the same Ed Hudak he always was.”

Newly appointed Coral Gables Police Chief, Edward J. Hudak, Jr., is sworn in during a ceremony held at the Shalala Student Center Friday. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Jorge Chabo

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...