News, Senate Recap, Student Government

SG Senators feel Distraction Magazine, Ibis Yearbook referendums need further consideration

There were mixed reviews among senators on the referendums recently passed to increase funding for Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook.

In the Student Government elections two weeks ago, undergraduates passed referendums that would raise their student activity fee by $1 per semester to help fund the student publications. Distraction Magazine won the vote with 53 percent of the vote, while Ibis Yearbook won with 59 percent.

Many senators felt that the fee should not have been raised; they cited that it was additional resources spent that could have been used for something else. Others criticized that it was more money taken out of their pocket for publications that they do not read or will only read once a year.

“I see many yearbooks lying around on campus,” Senator Michael Babino said. “Not many students are interested in it, [Ibis Yearbook] seems to be over-publicizing it, which seems like a waste of resources. It is a very beautiful book; however, if many are not being used, that’s just additional resources wasted.”

However, the student body passed the referendums, and the senators were obligated to pass the bill because they represent the student body. A few senators either opposed or abstained from voting to demonstrate their disapproval.

“The issue I have is students are not recognizing that both publications are saving $1 a semester rather than a year,” Senator Candice Johnson said. “So, at minimum, they will get $20,000 a year, and in reality if they only said $1 a year they will get $10,000 each. That is $40,000 we are giving to student publications, and one of them only comes out once a year.”

Now certified by Student Government, the bill will go to Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely, who will either confirm or deny the proposal. The senate also sent a letter to express their dissatisfaction with having to approve a bill a majority of the senators were against.

Marcus Lim

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...