Football, Sports

Hurricanes hope to salvage season in upcoming game against Virginia Tech

The last time UM played Virigina Tech at home in 2013 the Canes were ranked number 11 nationally and lost the game 42-24. Last year, the Canes blew out Virigina Tech 30-6 in Blacksburg. Nick Gangemi // Editor in Chief

The last time UM played Virginia Tech at home in 2013 the Canes were ranked No. 11 nationally and lost the game 42-24. Last year, the Canes blew out Virginia Tech 30-6 in Blacksburg. Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

Losing a close game against a rival team is tough, but the season continues forward.

On Saturday afternoon, the Miami Hurricanes will seek to break a two-game losing streak and get the season back on track with a matchup against their ACC foes, the Virginia Tech Hokies.

While this game still falls early in the ACC slate for the Canes, a third-straight loss would make it nearly impossible to win the Coastal Division, especially considering their next two games are against No. 5 Clemson and No. 25 Duke.

Last season, the Hurricanes delivered a 30-6 smackdown to the Hokies behind Duke Johnson’s 249 rushing yards and a dominant defensive performance. Virginia Tech will travel to Coral Gables this season hoping to exact revenge for last year’s result and trying to claim a victory that will keep them above a .500 winning percentage for the year.

With both teams desperate for a win, the Canes will need to summon their ground game, which fell flat against Florida State this past weekend. Against a Hokies defense that has allowed 190.7 rushing yards per game this season, sophomore Joe Yearby and freshman Mark Walton will need to find their groove once again.

On the other side of the ball, Miami’s defense is still not sure whether it will face starting quarterback Michael Brewer, who suffered a broken collarbone in the season opener against Ohio State. The senior quarterback has a chance of playing this week, but has yet to be cleared by the Virginia Tech staff.

In the absence of Brewer, junior Brandon Motley has stepped in but struggled to find a rhythm for the Hokies. In the past two games against Pittsburgh and North Carolina State, Motley has thrown for just 249 yards, along with four touchdowns and three interceptions.

The Canes’ defense needs to find a way to get pressure on the quarterback and force turnovers. Miami has had trouble creating takeaways the last two games, with the only one coming on a Rayshawn Jenkins interception against Cincinnati.

It’s still fairly early in the season and in the conference schedule, but this is about as close as the Canes can get to a must-win game. This is a winnable game that could build some momentum before two tough matchups. If they lose their third-straight game, though, things will go south quickly.

Last week’s loss to the Seminoles stung, but if the Canes have any hope of making this year a success, they will need to turn things around starting on Saturday.

The Hurricanes face Virginia Tech at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Austin Sapin

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...