Football, Sports

Hurricanes hope to salvage season in upcoming game against Virginia Tech

The last time UM played Virigina Tech at home in 2013 the Canes were ranked number 11 nationally and lost the game 42-24. Last year, the Canes blew out Virigina Tech 30-6 in Blacksburg. Nick Gangemi // Editor in Chief

The last time UM played Virginia Tech at home in 2013 the Canes were ranked No. 11 nationally and lost the game 42-24. Last year, the Canes blew out Virginia Tech 30-6 in Blacksburg. Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

Losing a close game against a rival team is tough, but the season continues forward.

On Saturday afternoon, the Miami Hurricanes will seek to break a two-game losing streak and get the season back on track with a matchup against their ACC foes, the Virginia Tech Hokies.

While this game still falls early in the ACC slate for the Canes, a third-straight loss would make it nearly impossible to win the Coastal Division, especially considering their next two games are against No. 5 Clemson and No. 25 Duke.

Last season, the Hurricanes delivered a 30-6 smackdown to the Hokies behind Duke Johnson’s 249 rushing yards and a dominant defensive performance. Virginia Tech will travel to Coral Gables this season hoping to exact revenge for last year’s result and trying to claim a victory that will keep them above a .500 winning percentage for the year.

With both teams desperate for a win, the Canes will need to summon their ground game, which fell flat against Florida State this past weekend. Against a Hokies defense that has allowed 190.7 rushing yards per game this season, sophomore Joe Yearby and freshman Mark Walton will need to find their groove once again.

On the other side of the ball, Miami’s defense is still not sure whether it will face starting quarterback Michael Brewer, who suffered a broken collarbone in the season opener against Ohio State. The senior quarterback has a chance of playing this week, but has yet to be cleared by the Virginia Tech staff.

In the absence of Brewer, junior Brandon Motley has stepped in but struggled to find a rhythm for the Hokies. In the past two games against Pittsburgh and North Carolina State, Motley has thrown for just 249 yards, along with four touchdowns and three interceptions.

The Canes’ defense needs to find a way to get pressure on the quarterback and force turnovers. Miami has had trouble creating takeaways the last two games, with the only one coming on a Rayshawn Jenkins interception against Cincinnati.

It’s still fairly early in the season and in the conference schedule, but this is about as close as the Canes can get to a must-win game. This is a winnable game that could build some momentum before two tough matchups. If they lose their third-straight game, though, things will go south quickly.

Last week’s loss to the Seminoles stung, but if the Canes have any hope of making this year a success, they will need to turn things around starting on Saturday.

The Hurricanes face Virginia Tech at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Austin Sapin

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...