Blogs, U Musings

U Musings: Embracing my inner nerd through cross-disciplinary subjects

I’ve always known I was a grade-A nerd, but nothing makes that more apparent to me and everyone around me than when I notice cross-disciplinary subjects. I get so excited when something taught to me in one class is utilized in another. One example is Logic Design and Introduction to Linear Algebra.

I was sitting in Logic Design, wishing I was somewhere else as our teacher explained decoders to the class. He explained how a decoder takes the inputs and isolates each output variable in one equation by itself. As I watched him explain this, it suddenly occurred to me that this was an identity matrix! An identity matrix is a matrix with an equal length and height, with ones on the diagonal and zeros everywhere else.

identity matrix

Identity matrices

It’s so cool that there’s a connection between classes that seem totally unrelated. I couldn’t keep the information to myself! Naturally, I turned to my buddy to give her the good news. After all, we were both suffering, and clearly this tidbit of information would make the lesson a bit more bearable. After I told her about this exciting connection, she turned to me and said, “What?”

So I repeated myself, describing to her the wondrous connection I made. She turned back to the board, again processed what I said, then turned back to me and said, “Oh. I never would’ve noticed that.” She then returned to taking notes.

It was then I knew that I shouldn’t be nearly as excited that decoders produce identity matrices, but I was. It was like my excitement was the evil inside Pandora’s box. Since I’d unwittingly opened it, I struggled for a way to close the lid. I eventually managed to reign in my excitement, but not before I was reminded of how truly nerdy I can be.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user kaboompics.

Virginia Colkley

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...