Football, Sports

Stacy Coley named ACC Offensive Receiver of the Week

Junior receiver Stacy Coley was named ACC Offensive Receiver of the Week on Monday afternoon after having the best game of his career in Miami’s 29-24 loss to Florida State Saturday night.

Coley led the Hurricanes with seven catches for 139 yards, both career highs, and one touchdown. It was his first time surpassing 100 receiving yards as a Hurricane. The Pompano Beach, Florida native put the Canes ahead 24-23 with 10:02 remaining in the fourth quarter on a leaping 29-yard touchdown grab. Coley landed hard and had to leave the game with a hip injury, but Head Coach Al Golden said on Sunday night that it should not be a long-term issue.

Coley finally looked healthy Saturday night after injuring his hamstring in the first quarter of Miami’s season opener against Bethune-Cookman. The six-foot-one, 187-pound receiver missed the Florida Atlantic and Cincinnati games and did not see much action against Nebraska.

The man responsible for getting the ball to Coley, sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya, also received some good news on Monday. The West Hills, California native was among the 32 players on the 2015 Midseason Watch List for the College Football Performance Awards National Performer of the Year Trophy. The list includes 23 quarterbacks and nine running backs.

Kaaya had a strong performance against the Seminoles, throwing for career highs in completions (29), attempts (49) and yards (405) along with three touchdowns and no interceptions. The six-foot-four, 210-pound quarterback leads the ACC in total offense per game (292.4), passing yards (1,499) and passing yards per game (299.8).

The Hurricanes next face Virginia Tech at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...