So-called farmers’ market fails to live up to its name

Guanabana features fresh Peruvian ceviche and fruit juices at the Well 'Canes Marketplace Wednesday afternoon. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Guanabana features fresh Peruvian ceviche and fruit juices at the Well ‘Canes Marketplace. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Ah, ’tis the season of the return of the farmers’ market. I see girls strutting around campus with “handcrafted” arepas, boys sipping on their fresh-squeezed juices and professors browsing the “artisanal” tapestries. But instead of happily munching on a steamy empanada, you’re more likely to see steam coming out of my ears, because when I walk through the market I can’t help but get angry at how inconsistent it is with its superficially “sustainable” image.

The market is not ecologically oriented at all. One Wednesday afternoon, I took a stroll through the market and made a list of every stand. Of the 28 stands, 53.6 percent were processed foods, requiring more than one ingredient and some sort of preparation and cooking. Moreover, 21.5 percent of the stands were drinks including juices, coconut water and teas. Three of the stands had absolutely no link to food systems or farming as they sell completely inedible lotions, arts and crafts.

That leaves only four stands that sell whole products, conceivably direct to market from farmers: the honey, produce, sustainable meats and orchid stands. These stands are the only corners of the market in which the ecological principles of the farmers’ market are even remotely applicable.

There shouldn’t be just one of each of these stands. There should be entire categories of the market, and produce should be the biggest.

Instead, look closer at our one meager fruit stand and you’ll find stickers on pomegranates that read “Product of California,” and familiar Chiquita Banana logos that read “Product of Guatemala.” The advertisements posted around campus about the market read the words “fresh, local, seasonal,” when it turns out they are anything but those descriptions.

Besides California, South Florida is the only place in the country that can produce an abundance of food year round. Homestead is full of farmers who would benefit greatly from the direct-to-market sales of their produce without having to sell to a middleman. A great research university like ours is meant to be an example of implementing scientific, ecological practices for better ways to shop, live and eat.

Yet the university is failing to be an example to its community of how to support local farmers, and instead perpetuates what I call “the lazy environmentalist.” The lazy environmentalist will buy a product that says “all natural” without investigating what those terms mean in practice. The lazy environmentalist will brag about choosing to buy their produce at the campus farmers’ market without bothering to read the sticker on their industrially produced, foreign-grown banana.

If you actually want to support a local farmer, join a Community Supported Agriculture program. Take the bus down to the Redlands Farmer’s Market in Homestead. Advocate for local farmers’ inclusion in the market and in dining services. Just don’t sing the praises of your favorite Wednesday lunches without understanding its exclusionary facade. Make an impact, not an image.

Annie Cappetta is a sophomore majoring in ecosystem science and policy and political science.

Annie Cappetta

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...