Football, Sports

With Joe Philbin gone, Miami’s pressure shifts to Al Golden

With his team underachieving and the pressure of the media, fans and leadership hovering above him, a Miami football head coach was fired Monday morning.

Although the Miami coach fired was former Dolphins headman Joe Philbin, that very same statement could be made for Hurricanes headman Al Golden very soon.

While the Canes entered this season with modest expectations, the Dolphins and their fans had dreams of the playoffs. After a big signing like Ndamukong Suh, those expectations grew even higher.

After a 1-3 start, including an absolute dismantling at the hands of the New York Jets in London on Sunday, the Dolphins decided to start anew despite the fact no team has ever made the playoffs after firing its coach after four games.

With Philbin gone and the Dolphins floundering, football fans across Miami will shift their full attention to the Hurricanes. Golden now sits in the hottest seat in South Florida.

Despite a reasonably strong start to the season, albeit against weak opposition, the Canes came out flat against a Cincinnati team starting a freshman backup quarterback in a 34-23 loss last Thursday.

Similar to Philbin, Golden faces intense pressure now not just because of his team’s performance this season, but over his entire tenure as head coach in Miami. Philbin was 24-28 with the Dolphins when he was fired; Golden is currently 31-23 in his time at Miami.

Also like the former coach of the Dolphins, Golden will travel with his team to take on a rival which could turn the season in different directions. While the Canes aren’t expected to win Saturday in Tallahassee, they at least need to show fight and competitiveness.

The Dolphins didn’t need to win Sunday either, but, like the Hurricanes, needed to show signs of life and progress. To say they didn’t is putting it lightly.

Going forward, Golden’s team will face an uphill battle against some talented opponents. Miami doesn’t have to go undefeated the rest of the way, but the team does have to show up and actually be competitive unlike Thursday night’s debacle in Cincinnati.

Maybe Golden will be fired after the year even with some progress, but if the Canes start mailing it in like Philbin’s Dolphins, the pressure and calls for Golden’s dismissal will only get louder.

Austin Sapin

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...