Football, Sports

With Joe Philbin gone, Miami’s pressure shifts to Al Golden

With his team underachieving and the pressure of the media, fans and leadership hovering above him, a Miami football head coach was fired Monday morning.

Although the Miami coach fired was former Dolphins headman Joe Philbin, that very same statement could be made for Hurricanes headman Al Golden very soon.

While the Canes entered this season with modest expectations, the Dolphins and their fans had dreams of the playoffs. After a big signing like Ndamukong Suh, those expectations grew even higher.

After a 1-3 start, including an absolute dismantling at the hands of the New York Jets in London on Sunday, the Dolphins decided to start anew despite the fact no team has ever made the playoffs after firing its coach after four games.

With Philbin gone and the Dolphins floundering, football fans across Miami will shift their full attention to the Hurricanes. Golden now sits in the hottest seat in South Florida.

Despite a reasonably strong start to the season, albeit against weak opposition, the Canes came out flat against a Cincinnati team starting a freshman backup quarterback in a 34-23 loss last Thursday.

Similar to Philbin, Golden faces intense pressure now not just because of his team’s performance this season, but over his entire tenure as head coach in Miami. Philbin was 24-28 with the Dolphins when he was fired; Golden is currently 31-23 in his time at Miami.

Also like the former coach of the Dolphins, Golden will travel with his team to take on a rival which could turn the season in different directions. While the Canes aren’t expected to win Saturday in Tallahassee, they at least need to show fight and competitiveness.

The Dolphins didn’t need to win Sunday either, but, like the Hurricanes, needed to show signs of life and progress. To say they didn’t is putting it lightly.

Going forward, Golden’s team will face an uphill battle against some talented opponents. Miami doesn’t have to go undefeated the rest of the way, but the team does have to show up and actually be competitive unlike Thursday night’s debacle in Cincinnati.

Maybe Golden will be fired after the year even with some progress, but if the Canes start mailing it in like Philbin’s Dolphins, the pressure and calls for Golden’s dismissal will only get louder.

Austin Sapin

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...