Upcoming TV shows for fall 2015

Fall brings new courses, schedules and television lineups. Here is the essential guide to all that television can offer when you are looking for a break from midterms and homework.

The Grinder

Rob Lowe – best known as Chris Traeger from “Parks and Recreation” – returns to television in this comedy about an actor from a legal drama who decides to become an actual lawyer. Lowe brings his usual charisma and wit to the new show, backed by Fred Savage who plays his brother, an actual lawyer. The tension between a know-it-all actor-lawyer and his real deal brother puts a twist on the legal genre of television. “The Grinder” airs Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. on Fox.

The Muppets

When Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy split this summer, everyone was shocked. Now, fans of the Muppets can find out how and why in their new television show. Filmed like a reality show or documentary, the show follows the Muppets and has side interviews with the characters, akin to “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.” Guest stars like Elizabeth Banks and Imagine Dragons also appear alongside the reimagined Muppets. Despite their kid-friendly roots, the Muppets are now more adult in humor and themes. To check out their new show, tune in Tuesdays at 8. p.m. on ABC.

Scream Queens

This new series takes classic horror cliches and kills them. “Scream Queens” is a mix of comedy and horror that blends together to make a television show that anyone can easily sink his or her teeth into. Set in a grandiose sorority that now has to allow anyone – no matter the income level – to rush, “Scream Queens” follows the Kappa Sisters as a murderer starts killing random people on campus. Stars include Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michele and Keke Palmer. Expect to laugh and cringe while watching Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Fox.

How To Get Away with Murder

Earlier this month, this show made history when Viola Davis – the actress who portrays Professor Annalise Keating – became the first African American woman to win an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. “How to Get Away with Murder” follows Professor Keating as she teaches a class with the titular name. She selects five interns to work for her law firm and together they skate the lines of laws and morality. The first season of this intense drama series is already on Netflix, and the show airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.

Once Upon a Time

It’s never too late to start believing in fairytales again. The more-established “Once Upon a Time” is entering its fifth season, but it will keep things fresh for the fans. This season, the show will focus on Camelot, so expect to see King Arthur and Guinevere. Merida also made an appearance in the season premiere. Anyone who wants to catch up can find all four previous seasons on Netflix. “Once Upon a Time” airs on Sundays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Ross Hawkes

Esther Ponce De Leon

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...