Upcoming TV shows for fall 2015

Fall brings new courses, schedules and television lineups. Here is the essential guide to all that television can offer when you are looking for a break from midterms and homework.

The Grinder

Rob Lowe – best known as Chris Traeger from “Parks and Recreation” – returns to television in this comedy about an actor from a legal drama who decides to become an actual lawyer. Lowe brings his usual charisma and wit to the new show, backed by Fred Savage who plays his brother, an actual lawyer. The tension between a know-it-all actor-lawyer and his real deal brother puts a twist on the legal genre of television. “The Grinder” airs Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. on Fox.

The Muppets

When Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy split this summer, everyone was shocked. Now, fans of the Muppets can find out how and why in their new television show. Filmed like a reality show or documentary, the show follows the Muppets and has side interviews with the characters, akin to “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.” Guest stars like Elizabeth Banks and Imagine Dragons also appear alongside the reimagined Muppets. Despite their kid-friendly roots, the Muppets are now more adult in humor and themes. To check out their new show, tune in Tuesdays at 8. p.m. on ABC.

Scream Queens

This new series takes classic horror cliches and kills them. “Scream Queens” is a mix of comedy and horror that blends together to make a television show that anyone can easily sink his or her teeth into. Set in a grandiose sorority that now has to allow anyone – no matter the income level – to rush, “Scream Queens” follows the Kappa Sisters as a murderer starts killing random people on campus. Stars include Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michele and Keke Palmer. Expect to laugh and cringe while watching Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Fox.

How To Get Away with Murder

Earlier this month, this show made history when Viola Davis – the actress who portrays Professor Annalise Keating – became the first African American woman to win an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. “How to Get Away with Murder” follows Professor Keating as she teaches a class with the titular name. She selects five interns to work for her law firm and together they skate the lines of laws and morality. The first season of this intense drama series is already on Netflix, and the show airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.

Once Upon a Time

It’s never too late to start believing in fairytales again. The more-established “Once Upon a Time” is entering its fifth season, but it will keep things fresh for the fans. This season, the show will focus on Camelot, so expect to see King Arthur and Guinevere. Merida also made an appearance in the season premiere. Anyone who wants to catch up can find all four previous seasons on Netflix. “Once Upon a Time” airs on Sundays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Ross Hawkes

Esther Ponce De Leon

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...