Upcoming TV shows for fall 2015

Fall brings new courses, schedules and television lineups. Here is the essential guide to all that television can offer when you are looking for a break from midterms and homework.

The Grinder

Rob Lowe – best known as Chris Traeger from “Parks and Recreation” – returns to television in this comedy about an actor from a legal drama who decides to become an actual lawyer. Lowe brings his usual charisma and wit to the new show, backed by Fred Savage who plays his brother, an actual lawyer. The tension between a know-it-all actor-lawyer and his real deal brother puts a twist on the legal genre of television. “The Grinder” airs Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. on Fox.

The Muppets

When Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy split this summer, everyone was shocked. Now, fans of the Muppets can find out how and why in their new television show. Filmed like a reality show or documentary, the show follows the Muppets and has side interviews with the characters, akin to “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.” Guest stars like Elizabeth Banks and Imagine Dragons also appear alongside the reimagined Muppets. Despite their kid-friendly roots, the Muppets are now more adult in humor and themes. To check out their new show, tune in Tuesdays at 8. p.m. on ABC.

Scream Queens

This new series takes classic horror cliches and kills them. “Scream Queens” is a mix of comedy and horror that blends together to make a television show that anyone can easily sink his or her teeth into. Set in a grandiose sorority that now has to allow anyone – no matter the income level – to rush, “Scream Queens” follows the Kappa Sisters as a murderer starts killing random people on campus. Stars include Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michele and Keke Palmer. Expect to laugh and cringe while watching Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Fox.

How To Get Away with Murder

Earlier this month, this show made history when Viola Davis – the actress who portrays Professor Annalise Keating – became the first African American woman to win an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. “How to Get Away with Murder” follows Professor Keating as she teaches a class with the titular name. She selects five interns to work for her law firm and together they skate the lines of laws and morality. The first season of this intense drama series is already on Netflix, and the show airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.

Once Upon a Time

It’s never too late to start believing in fairytales again. The more-established “Once Upon a Time” is entering its fifth season, but it will keep things fresh for the fans. This season, the show will focus on Camelot, so expect to see King Arthur and Guinevere. Merida also made an appearance in the season premiere. Anyone who wants to catch up can find all four previous seasons on Netflix. “Once Upon a Time” airs on Sundays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Ross Hawkes

Esther Ponce De Leon

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...