Edge, Food

Sushi Maki unveils new menu items, local chain celebrates 15 years

"Snowed In Roll" features snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council Certified krab, soy wrapper, and Sushi Maki's new ponzu butter. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

“Snowed In Roll” features snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council certified krab, a soy wrapper and Sushi Maki’s new ponzu butter. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Japanese street corn, lychee grape tiradito, lemon fish chirashi and salmon ceviche. These dishes aren’t currently on Sushi Maki’s menu, but they will be – along with other vibrant dishes made using locally sourced ingredients – starting Oct. 5 as part of the company’s menu update.

The Coral Gables-based chain celebrated 15 years of service along with the new menu with an exclusive tasting event at the Coral Gables location on Thursday night.

President and CEO Abe Ng and his wife and co-founder, Christina Ng, welcomed foodies, members of the media and Sushi Maki lovers to sample new sakes and local craft beers in the “beer garden” on the outdoor terrace as waiters served lobster tacos and miniature ahi poke bowls.

Later, Christina Ng sat guests for the main event: tasting the new entrees. The Veggie Head Roll, filled with vegetables and covered in savory aji amarillo sauce, was a crowd-pleaser, along with the Snowed In Roll: a bite of snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council certified krab and soy wrapper with a new Sushi Maki creation, ponzu butter.

Sushi Maki has 20 locations in South Florida, so using ingredients found in the area was an important next step for Ng, who said it was the “right thing” to do.

“We’re so fortunate to have a variety of places in town to share the goodness of sushi,” he said. “We’re excited to be able to imagine and create incredible recipes, and share them with so many people through new and unexpected places.”

New rolls will be available at Sushi Maki in the University of Miami food court in spring 2016.

"The Veggie Head Roll" combines assorted vegetables, aji amarillo sauce, micro greens, and soy wrapper to create a flavorful twist on a classic vegetarian sushi roll. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

“The Veggie Head Roll” combines assorted vegetables, aji amarillo sauce, micro greens and a soy wrapper to create a flavorful twist on a classic vegetarian sushi roll. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

To feature Miami's locally-grown strawberries, Sushi Maki restaurants will serve a dessert of japanese steamed cake, shiso, green tea, and strawberries beginning January 2016. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

To feature Miami’s locally grown strawberries, Sushi Maki restaurants will serve a dessert of japanese steamed cake, shiso, green tea and strawberries beginning in January 2016. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...