Edge, Food

Sushi Maki unveils new menu items, local chain celebrates 15 years

"Snowed In Roll" features snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council Certified krab, soy wrapper, and Sushi Maki's new ponzu butter. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

“Snowed In Roll” features snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council certified krab, a soy wrapper and Sushi Maki’s new ponzu butter. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Japanese street corn, lychee grape tiradito, lemon fish chirashi and salmon ceviche. These dishes aren’t currently on Sushi Maki’s menu, but they will be – along with other vibrant dishes made using locally sourced ingredients – starting Oct. 5 as part of the company’s menu update.

The Coral Gables-based chain celebrated 15 years of service along with the new menu with an exclusive tasting event at the Coral Gables location on Thursday night.

President and CEO Abe Ng and his wife and co-founder, Christina Ng, welcomed foodies, members of the media and Sushi Maki lovers to sample new sakes and local craft beers in the “beer garden” on the outdoor terrace as waiters served lobster tacos and miniature ahi poke bowls.

Later, Christina Ng sat guests for the main event: tasting the new entrees. The Veggie Head Roll, filled with vegetables and covered in savory aji amarillo sauce, was a crowd-pleaser, along with the Snowed In Roll: a bite of snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council certified krab and soy wrapper with a new Sushi Maki creation, ponzu butter.

Sushi Maki has 20 locations in South Florida, so using ingredients found in the area was an important next step for Ng, who said it was the “right thing” to do.

“We’re so fortunate to have a variety of places in town to share the goodness of sushi,” he said. “We’re excited to be able to imagine and create incredible recipes, and share them with so many people through new and unexpected places.”

New rolls will be available at Sushi Maki in the University of Miami food court in spring 2016.

"The Veggie Head Roll" combines assorted vegetables, aji amarillo sauce, micro greens, and soy wrapper to create a flavorful twist on a classic vegetarian sushi roll. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

“The Veggie Head Roll” combines assorted vegetables, aji amarillo sauce, micro greens and a soy wrapper to create a flavorful twist on a classic vegetarian sushi roll. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

To feature Miami's locally-grown strawberries, Sushi Maki restaurants will serve a dessert of japanese steamed cake, shiso, green tea, and strawberries beginning January 2016. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

To feature Miami’s locally grown strawberries, Sushi Maki restaurants will serve a dessert of japanese steamed cake, shiso, green tea and strawberries beginning in January 2016. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...