Edge, Food

Sushi Maki unveils new menu items, local chain celebrates 15 years

"Snowed In Roll" features snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council Certified krab, soy wrapper, and Sushi Maki's new ponzu butter. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

“Snowed In Roll” features snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council certified krab, a soy wrapper and Sushi Maki’s new ponzu butter. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Japanese street corn, lychee grape tiradito, lemon fish chirashi and salmon ceviche. These dishes aren’t currently on Sushi Maki’s menu, but they will be – along with other vibrant dishes made using locally sourced ingredients – starting Oct. 5 as part of the company’s menu update.

The Coral Gables-based chain celebrated 15 years of service along with the new menu with an exclusive tasting event at the Coral Gables location on Thursday night.

President and CEO Abe Ng and his wife and co-founder, Christina Ng, welcomed foodies, members of the media and Sushi Maki lovers to sample new sakes and local craft beers in the “beer garden” on the outdoor terrace as waiters served lobster tacos and miniature ahi poke bowls.

Later, Christina Ng sat guests for the main event: tasting the new entrees. The Veggie Head Roll, filled with vegetables and covered in savory aji amarillo sauce, was a crowd-pleaser, along with the Snowed In Roll: a bite of snow crab, Marine Stewardship Council certified krab and soy wrapper with a new Sushi Maki creation, ponzu butter.

Sushi Maki has 20 locations in South Florida, so using ingredients found in the area was an important next step for Ng, who said it was the “right thing” to do.

“We’re so fortunate to have a variety of places in town to share the goodness of sushi,” he said. “We’re excited to be able to imagine and create incredible recipes, and share them with so many people through new and unexpected places.”

New rolls will be available at Sushi Maki in the University of Miami food court in spring 2016.

"The Veggie Head Roll" combines assorted vegetables, aji amarillo sauce, micro greens, and soy wrapper to create a flavorful twist on a classic vegetarian sushi roll. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

“The Veggie Head Roll” combines assorted vegetables, aji amarillo sauce, micro greens and a soy wrapper to create a flavorful twist on a classic vegetarian sushi roll. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

To feature Miami's locally-grown strawberries, Sushi Maki restaurants will serve a dessert of japanese steamed cake, shiso, green tea, and strawberries beginning January 2016. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

To feature Miami’s locally grown strawberries, Sushi Maki restaurants will serve a dessert of japanese steamed cake, shiso, green tea and strawberries beginning in January 2016. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...