News Briefs 10/5: Cobb Fountain Turns Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, Screening Showcases Pakistani Activist Malala Yousafzai, Flick Football Tournament

Cobb Fountain Turns Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness

The Cobb Fountain will turn pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month this Monday, Oct. 5. Zeta Tau Alpha sorority will host the Think Pink event at 7:30 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio Stage. UM President Julio Frenk and First Lady Felicia Knaul will be in attendance at the lighting. Knaul is a breast cancer survivor and authored a book about her experience called “Beauty Without the Breast.”

Screening Showcases Pakistani Activist Malala Yousafzai

Cosford Cinema will present an advanced screening of the film “He Named Me Malala” at 9 p.m. on Tuesday. Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate. The Taliban failed in their attempt to assassinate her following a rise in prominence of her advocacy. The film documents her growth in importance as a leading advocate for children’s and women’s rights.

Flick Football Tournament

Alumni Mike Cody competes in the Flick Football Tournament during the Cincinnati Watch Party Thursday at the Rathskeller. Participating students had the chance to win tickets to the upcoming football game against FSU and a hotel stay in Tallahassee. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

Alumnus Mike Cody competes in the Flick Football Tournament during the Cincinnati Watch Party Thursday at the Rathskeller. Participating students had the chance to win tickets to the upcoming football game against FSU and a hotel stay in Tallahassee. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

William Riggin

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...