News Briefs 10/5: Cobb Fountain Turns Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, Screening Showcases Pakistani Activist Malala Yousafzai, Flick Football Tournament

Cobb Fountain Turns Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness

The Cobb Fountain will turn pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month this Monday, Oct. 5. Zeta Tau Alpha sorority will host the Think Pink event at 7:30 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio Stage. UM President Julio Frenk and First Lady Felicia Knaul will be in attendance at the lighting. Knaul is a breast cancer survivor and authored a book about her experience called “Beauty Without the Breast.”

Screening Showcases Pakistani Activist Malala Yousafzai

Cosford Cinema will present an advanced screening of the film “He Named Me Malala” at 9 p.m. on Tuesday. Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate. The Taliban failed in their attempt to assassinate her following a rise in prominence of her advocacy. The film documents her growth in importance as a leading advocate for children’s and women’s rights.

Flick Football Tournament

Alumni Mike Cody competes in the Flick Football Tournament during the Cincinnati Watch Party Thursday at the Rathskeller. Participating students had the chance to win tickets to the upcoming football game against FSU and a hotel stay in Tallahassee. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

Alumnus Mike Cody competes in the Flick Football Tournament during the Cincinnati Watch Party Thursday at the Rathskeller. Participating students had the chance to win tickets to the upcoming football game against FSU and a hotel stay in Tallahassee. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

William Riggin

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...