V's Take

Dear V: When parents don’t approve

I’ve been with my boyfriend since sophomore year of high school. We’re juniors in college now and have lived together for a little over a year. I couldn’t be happier. In fact, a few months ago, my boyfriend asked me to marry him… I said yes! The problem is, I haven’t told my parents yet because, well, they hate him. Back in high school when we first started dating, he cheated on me and it broke my heart. My parents have never forgiven him, and they didn’t accept that I’ve chosen to stay with him, either. He’s convinced me that it was a one-time mistake and I believe him. I want to tell my parents the exciting news, but I know they won’t be pleased. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Moving Forward

Dear Moving Forward,

First off, don’t be too hard on your parents for struggling to let bygones be bygones. Cheating is something that few people can forgive or get past in a relationship. Your boyfriend should realize that not many girls would stick around after what he did. Your parents’ anger stems from a good place: protecting their daughter.

That being said, it’s been years since that rough patch in your relationship, so it’s time for your parents to leave the past and join you in the present. If they know that you’ve forgiven him and are happy with your relationship, that should be enough for them to loosen the reins. Tell them that while you love them and respect their opinion, the decision of who you spend the rest of your life with is yours.

However, your parents do have a point.

No matter how long ago it may have been, cheating is a huge deal. People who are cheated on rarely heal in that same relationship. You may want to step back and ask yourself if you truly trust your boyfriend before you take this leap. Yes, you may be madly in love with him and that’s wonderful, but you’ll never be truly happy in a relationship where you’re left wondering if your future husband is really on that “business trip” or if he’s gone to shack up with that coworker he’s always clicked with. You shouldn’t have to spend the rest of your life wondering why he chose someone else over you in that moment, either.

Ultimately, you’re the only one who can know what you’re truly feeling deep down. Respect your parents’ opinions, but do what’s best for you and will make you happy. If you love him and trust him not to hurt you again, then take the chance and break the news to your parents in the most gentle way you can.

-V

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...