Baseball, Sports

Donation fund set up to support Willie Abreu’s family

While the Hurricanes baseball team was gearing up for their first appearance in the College World Series since 2008 last May, outfielder Willie Abreu was dealing with a stroke his mother, Rosie, suffered that put her in the hospital for months.

Rosie Abreu suffered a stroke on May 25 and required emergency brain surgery. Now a donation fund has been set up to support Abreu and his family as they try to recover. Rosie is no longer in the hospital, but the family still needs help paying medical costs and ongoing therapy.

“In an effort to support Willie, Rosie and his family during the difficult time, a donation fund has been set up to help pay for the Abreu’s medical bills,” the University of Miami said in a press release. “Checks can be made out to Manuel Abreu, Willie’s father and Rosie’s husband, and must be delivered to assistant communications director Camron Ghorbi. Checks can be sent to Camron at 5821 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146 or may be delivered in person to the Hecht Athletic Center.”

Mark Singer

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...