Baseball, Sports

Donation fund set up to support Willie Abreu’s family

While the Hurricanes baseball team was gearing up for their first appearance in the College World Series since 2008 last May, outfielder Willie Abreu was dealing with a stroke his mother, Rosie, suffered that put her in the hospital for months.

Rosie Abreu suffered a stroke on May 25 and required emergency brain surgery. Now a donation fund has been set up to support Abreu and his family as they try to recover. Rosie is no longer in the hospital, but the family still needs help paying medical costs and ongoing therapy.

“In an effort to support Willie, Rosie and his family during the difficult time, a donation fund has been set up to help pay for the Abreu’s medical bills,” the University of Miami said in a press release. “Checks can be made out to Manuel Abreu, Willie’s father and Rosie’s husband, and must be delivered to assistant communications director Camron Ghorbi. Checks can be sent to Camron at 5821 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146 or may be delivered in person to the Hecht Athletic Center.”

Mark Singer

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...