Campus Life, Multimedia, News, Video

Toppel’s ‘Majors and Minors Fair’ offers opportunity, options to participants

Monday’s Majors and Minors Fair, hosted by Toppel Career Center, exemplified what Toppel is all about—helping students prepare to pursue jobs.

The fair was held in the center ballroom of the Shalala Student Center and was populated by close to 100 students. There were upwards of 20 booths set up to aid students, some of whom were sure of their majors and simply wanted to learn of cognate options or meet the academic deans, and others who were entirely unsure of their academic path.

Justin Childs, career exploration advisor at Toppel and coordinator of the event, said the fair was a way for students to feel the expansiveness of their academic path by wandering through, taking in the majors and  minors the university has to offer.

Freshman Laura Lassen receives advice at Toppel's Majors and Minors Fair Monday in the SSC Ballrooms. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Freshman Laura Lassen receives advice at Toppel’s Majors and Minors Fair Monday in the SSC Ballrooms. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

“The Majors and Minors Fair allows [students]to see all the different options that are presented right here at the institution,” he said.

Students explored the fair—armed with curiosity and complimentary pizza—stopping at various booths set up by professors, academic advisors and fellow students. Each booth represented an area of study, and students who were interested would approach and interact with the leaders stationed at a particular booth. There, they would learn about the various classes, programs and trips that field of study includes.

“The fair gave me a great new perspective,” freshman Jose Mota said. “I’m definitely looking into new minor options that I learned about today.”  

Mota, an undecided business major, looked around to learn more about the various business concentrations.

“It’s perfect for students who are undecided in their major,” Mota said.

Aside from disseminating information about majors and minors, Toppel brought in the additional educative component of travel.  From studying architecture in Barcelona to participating in archaeological digs in Chile, UM offers many travel options to bolster students’ educations and create a well-rounded college experience. There are more than 60 programs in 32 countries offered at UM. 

David Ufberg

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...