Campus Life, Multimedia, News, Video

Toppel’s ‘Majors and Minors Fair’ offers opportunity, options to participants

Monday’s Majors and Minors Fair, hosted by Toppel Career Center, exemplified what Toppel is all about—helping students prepare to pursue jobs.

The fair was held in the center ballroom of the Shalala Student Center and was populated by close to 100 students. There were upwards of 20 booths set up to aid students, some of whom were sure of their majors and simply wanted to learn of cognate options or meet the academic deans, and others who were entirely unsure of their academic path.

Justin Childs, career exploration advisor at Toppel and coordinator of the event, said the fair was a way for students to feel the expansiveness of their academic path by wandering through, taking in the majors and  minors the university has to offer.

Freshman Laura Lassen receives advice at Toppel's Majors and Minors Fair Monday in the SSC Ballrooms. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Freshman Laura Lassen receives advice at Toppel’s Majors and Minors Fair Monday in the SSC Ballrooms. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

“The Majors and Minors Fair allows [students]to see all the different options that are presented right here at the institution,” he said.

Students explored the fair—armed with curiosity and complimentary pizza—stopping at various booths set up by professors, academic advisors and fellow students. Each booth represented an area of study, and students who were interested would approach and interact with the leaders stationed at a particular booth. There, they would learn about the various classes, programs and trips that field of study includes.

“The fair gave me a great new perspective,” freshman Jose Mota said. “I’m definitely looking into new minor options that I learned about today.”  

Mota, an undecided business major, looked around to learn more about the various business concentrations.

“It’s perfect for students who are undecided in their major,” Mota said.

Aside from disseminating information about majors and minors, Toppel brought in the additional educative component of travel.  From studying architecture in Barcelona to participating in archaeological digs in Chile, UM offers many travel options to bolster students’ educations and create a well-rounded college experience. There are more than 60 programs in 32 countries offered at UM. 

David Ufberg

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...