‘Tennessee’s Treasures’ conveys deep emotion, discusses dark subjects

Performers at UM’s Jerry Herman Ring Theatre beautifully recreated scenes of anguish and despair in the play series “Tennessee’s Treasures.” Four short stories written by Tennessee Williams between 1944 and 1958 were spotlighted.

The first, “Auto-da-Fe,” follows Eloi (Alex Michell) who is an asthmatic boy struggling to reveal his sexual identity to his old-fashioned mother. He speaks of a burning that his mother is unable to decipher and eventually the burning, which is his desire to be free, turns literal after he locks himself in the house and burns it down.

In a very smooth transition, the next play, “27 Wagons Full of Cotton,” begins with a plantation burning down and Jake (Bennett Leeds) forcing his wife Flora (Hollis Williams) to admit that he didn’t cause the fire on the plantation. The problem truly emerges when he chokes and twists her wrists until she says what he wants. Instead of being frightened, she turns it into a sexual game, eventually leading to her to be taken advantage of by another character later on.

Following the sexually intense scene, the next play, “Hello from Bertha,” focuses on Bertha, (Broghan Phelan) a lady in a whorehouse who is dying from a disease and longing to speak to a man from her past. Out of the four plays, this one was lacking a real climax.

Lastly, to add to the theme of sex, audiences had the chance to peek into the life two women, Flora (Shannon Booth) and Bessie (Ellie Goldenberg), who desperately want to find love in “A Perfect Analysis Given by a Parrot.”

Although there was a lot of repetition, such as constant crying, it oddly enough never became boring. What’s more to desire than sex, death and mental stimulation?

One of the only downsides to the plays was that the scenes, despite being captivating, were drawn out. After a few moments of crying and crying, especially in “Hello from Bertha,” it became irritating.

The scenes also never revealed the problems the characters were facing, leaving the audience to rely solely on their own educated inferences. The plays dealt with heavy topics that could have been expanded upon to generate more conversation. This elusiveness may backfire and cause viewers to become afraid to talk out of fear that they may have gotten the wrong message.

Although the scenes were ambiguous, the actors who wore their hearts on their sleeves made it highly relatable. Every actor deserves multiple rounds of applause for the realness that they displayed. They were able to pull at heart strings and leave the audience with a horrible feeling of hopelessness – which was a good thing.  Because of the actors, each scene made it impossible to not put yourself in the suffering characters’ shoes.

All in all, a great selection of plays were chosen and the short 30-minute scenes made it great for people who enjoy shorter performances. The actors did an amazing job, although the crying was severely drawn out. “Tennessee’s Treasures” is not recommended for the heavy hearted as the stories are extremely dark. But, for those capable of letting a little sadness into their lives, it is a play to see.

Rating: 4/5 stars

If You Go:

When: Until Oct. 3

Where: Ring Theatre

Tickets: Show times and tickets can be found at as.miami.edu/ringtheatre.

Nadijah Campbell

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...