V's Take

Dear V: Try online dating, but don’t be ‘OkStupid’

As a young college girl in a metropolitan city, it’s difficult to find guys who are looking for more than just a hookup. I don’t have anything against those who have a “hit it n’ quit it” mentality, as college is the prime time for no-strings-attached arrangements, but that’s just not me.

I’ve tried going to bars, approaching guys and even meeting them in my classes and becoming their friend first before asking them out, but no matter my approach, I always end up being met with the same dreaded response: “I like you, but I’m not looking for a relationship right now.” I’m getting frustrated and am not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Either way, I’ve decided to enter the “new age” by taking my search online. How can I avoid creeps while I expand my search?

Sincerely,

Virtual Veronica

Dear Veronica,

Good news: despite what your parents warned you about strangers and the deep-seeded fear that Chris Hansen gave you of all things Internet-related through “To Catch a Predator,” not everyone you talk to online is a creep in a white van hoping to snatch you up. Rather than shying away from the Internet completely, it’s best to simply keep your identity safe and proceed with caution. After all, the Internet is a useful tool that can connect you to thousands of people across the globe…as long as you use it wisely.

It’s important to make sure you don’t give out sensitive information like your full name, telephone number, address or employer. However, you don’t have to bite your nails over someone knowing your favorite show is “Friends” or that you’re too fond of Thai food for your wallet’s own good.

Truth is, you’re not the only 20-something out there who’s trying to find something real. In a major city, people have busy schedules and don’t have time to date as much as they’d like to, so they make online profiles and message people instead. Don’t think of online dating as being bogus – it’s just a trickle-down result of our modern-day dependence on technology.

While your grandparents may have first met by bumping into each other at their local coffee shop, you may meet your boyfriend through a “poke” or a “like.”

Sure, it’s not as magical or romantic, but hey – at least you know he’s interested in what you’ve written about yourself. But if it seems he’s only messaging you because of your pictures and didn’t bother to read your profile, don’t bite back. Meeting someone online first gives you the opportunity to be real and find mutual interests rather than make awkward, giggling chatter or give them false flattery on a first date. This is the only real advantage it has over real life, so seize it.

Ultimately, keep up your search in real time, too. But use online dating wisely and you may find yourself on one of those dinky testimony commercials in a few years.

-V

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...