Edge, Television

Julia Goldani Telles from ‘The Affair’ talks pressures of conformity, equal rights

Season two of “The Affair,” which focuses on the effects of adultery to the pyshce of a family, is expected to premiere Oct 4. Actress Julia Goldani Telles, who plays Whitney Solloway on the show, shared how she hopes to use her role in the show to inspire change regarding equality for women.

Telles’s biggest wish, she says, is freedom for everyone to be themselves without the pressures of conformity. Her goal in life is to use her platform in hopes of gaining women equal rights socially as well as changing the narrative of gender roles.

“Now, growing up as a young woman, I’m really conscious of what that means and how much harder that is and how that’s really a catch 22,” Telles said. “I’m trying to change the way that women are supposed to be.

Telles said women and men are expected to behave a certain way by their parents and society, which ultimately becomes harmful. Girls in particular, she said, are often stifled in self-expression, especially sexually.

“Women aren’t expected to be sexual beings the same way that men are and they’re not protected socially in the same way,” she said. “Just the idea that I have to double check what I’m wearing before I leave the house because of what idea it may bring is wrong.”

Telles also explained that aside from being stifled sexually, women have been stifled of free-form thinking. In class, she noticed that guys would speak when they wanted to speak, while girls would raise their hands and say “maybe this is wrong but I think….”

Similarly to the girls in her class, she also finds herself being unable to say what she wants without the approval of others.

“I find myself apologizing for things I don’t need to apologize for,” Telles said. “I find myself asking for permission for things I don’t have to ask permission for because I don’t want to be perceived as a b*tch or as too aggressive.”

Raising awareness and having discussions within her friend groups is one of the ways she plans on making a change. She said even making a change in her small community will make her happy because it could spread to something bigger.

Aside from her hopes to recreate the social views of the world, Julia said she also wishes to work her hardest as an actress so that her niece and nephews can think she is “the bomb.”

As for her own inspiration, she aspires to be like “The Empire” character Cookie Lyon, played by Taraji P. Henson.

“She’s tough and strong and she knows what she wants and what she deserves and she has an amazing taste in cheetah print,” Telles said.

Nadijah Campbell

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...