Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes lose to Clemson 2-1 in double overtime

SPORTS_Soccer vs Clemson_SC

The Hurricanes fell to No. 7 Clemson 2-1 on a set piece goal in double overtime at Cobb Stadium Sunday afternoon.

Junior defender Emily Byorth scored the game winner in the 106th minute on a free kick from approximately 30 yards out. Byorth played the ball into the box for a teammate, but it fell to the ground untouched and bounced into the right corner of the net.

“Miscommunication between me and the defense kind of made that sweet spot in between,” redshirt freshman goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce said. “It was a little too far out for me but it went right behind the backline, so it just kind of found its way into the back of the net.”

After an onslaught of shots by the Tigers, the Canes had two chances inside the penalty box to win it in the 90th minute. Sophomore forward Ronnie Johnson’s shot from 10 yards out went just left of the net. Moments later, freshman midfielder Ainsly Wolfinbarger got a shot off from the right side of the box, but Clemson junior goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan caught it and the teams headed to extra time tied at 1-1.

Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe was pleased with how the Canes battled the No. 7 team in the country, but was left shaking her head after Clemson’s improbable goal to win it in overtime.

“I’m not sure what kind of goal that is, but as a coach, those are the ones you have nightmares about,” Monroe said.

The Canes struck first in the 12th minute on junior forward Gracie Lachowecki’s fourth goal of the season. Lachowecki collected a loose ball near the top of the penalty box and powered a low shot just underneath the body of Sheridan to give the Canes an early lead.

The goal ended a scoreless drought of over 200 minutes for Miami (3-7-0, 0-3-0) after the team was shutout by Wake Forest and Louisville in the previous two games.

The Tigers tied the game in the 44th minute. Junior defender Jenna Weston tapped in a low cross on the ground by junior forward Paige Reckert from right of the box for the equalizer.

Clemson (8-1-1, 2-1-0) outshot Miami 22 to 8 and controlled possession for most of the match. This was Miami’s second double-overtime game of the season. The team also lost at home against Central Florida 4-3 on Aug. 30.

After the tough loss to Clemson, the team honored U.S. women’s soccer team Head Coach Jill Ellis, and the 2015 World Cup winner participated in a soccer clinic for kids on the field.

The Canes next play Notre Dame at 8 p.m. on Friday at Cobb Stadium.

Mark Singer

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...