Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes lose to Clemson 2-1 in double overtime

SPORTS_Soccer vs Clemson_SC

The Hurricanes fell to No. 7 Clemson 2-1 on a set piece goal in double overtime at Cobb Stadium Sunday afternoon.

Junior defender Emily Byorth scored the game winner in the 106th minute on a free kick from approximately 30 yards out. Byorth played the ball into the box for a teammate, but it fell to the ground untouched and bounced into the right corner of the net.

“Miscommunication between me and the defense kind of made that sweet spot in between,” redshirt freshman goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce said. “It was a little too far out for me but it went right behind the backline, so it just kind of found its way into the back of the net.”

After an onslaught of shots by the Tigers, the Canes had two chances inside the penalty box to win it in the 90th minute. Sophomore forward Ronnie Johnson’s shot from 10 yards out went just left of the net. Moments later, freshman midfielder Ainsly Wolfinbarger got a shot off from the right side of the box, but Clemson junior goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan caught it and the teams headed to extra time tied at 1-1.

Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe was pleased with how the Canes battled the No. 7 team in the country, but was left shaking her head after Clemson’s improbable goal to win it in overtime.

“I’m not sure what kind of goal that is, but as a coach, those are the ones you have nightmares about,” Monroe said.

The Canes struck first in the 12th minute on junior forward Gracie Lachowecki’s fourth goal of the season. Lachowecki collected a loose ball near the top of the penalty box and powered a low shot just underneath the body of Sheridan to give the Canes an early lead.

The goal ended a scoreless drought of over 200 minutes for Miami (3-7-0, 0-3-0) after the team was shutout by Wake Forest and Louisville in the previous two games.

The Tigers tied the game in the 44th minute. Junior defender Jenna Weston tapped in a low cross on the ground by junior forward Paige Reckert from right of the box for the equalizer.

Clemson (8-1-1, 2-1-0) outshot Miami 22 to 8 and controlled possession for most of the match. This was Miami’s second double-overtime game of the season. The team also lost at home against Central Florida 4-3 on Aug. 30.

After the tough loss to Clemson, the team honored U.S. women’s soccer team Head Coach Jill Ellis, and the 2015 World Cup winner participated in a soccer clinic for kids on the field.

The Canes next play Notre Dame at 8 p.m. on Friday at Cobb Stadium.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...