Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes lose to Clemson 2-1 in double overtime

SPORTS_Soccer vs Clemson_SC

The Hurricanes fell to No. 7 Clemson 2-1 on a set piece goal in double overtime at Cobb Stadium Sunday afternoon.

Junior defender Emily Byorth scored the game winner in the 106th minute on a free kick from approximately 30 yards out. Byorth played the ball into the box for a teammate, but it fell to the ground untouched and bounced into the right corner of the net.

“Miscommunication between me and the defense kind of made that sweet spot in between,” redshirt freshman goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce said. “It was a little too far out for me but it went right behind the backline, so it just kind of found its way into the back of the net.”

After an onslaught of shots by the Tigers, the Canes had two chances inside the penalty box to win it in the 90th minute. Sophomore forward Ronnie Johnson’s shot from 10 yards out went just left of the net. Moments later, freshman midfielder Ainsly Wolfinbarger got a shot off from the right side of the box, but Clemson junior goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan caught it and the teams headed to extra time tied at 1-1.

Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe was pleased with how the Canes battled the No. 7 team in the country, but was left shaking her head after Clemson’s improbable goal to win it in overtime.

“I’m not sure what kind of goal that is, but as a coach, those are the ones you have nightmares about,” Monroe said.

The Canes struck first in the 12th minute on junior forward Gracie Lachowecki’s fourth goal of the season. Lachowecki collected a loose ball near the top of the penalty box and powered a low shot just underneath the body of Sheridan to give the Canes an early lead.

The goal ended a scoreless drought of over 200 minutes for Miami (3-7-0, 0-3-0) after the team was shutout by Wake Forest and Louisville in the previous two games.

The Tigers tied the game in the 44th minute. Junior defender Jenna Weston tapped in a low cross on the ground by junior forward Paige Reckert from right of the box for the equalizer.

Clemson (8-1-1, 2-1-0) outshot Miami 22 to 8 and controlled possession for most of the match. This was Miami’s second double-overtime game of the season. The team also lost at home against Central Florida 4-3 on Aug. 30.

After the tough loss to Clemson, the team honored U.S. women’s soccer team Head Coach Jill Ellis, and the 2015 World Cup winner participated in a soccer clinic for kids on the field.

The Canes next play Notre Dame at 8 p.m. on Friday at Cobb Stadium.

Mark Singer

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...