V's Take

Dear V: Ridin’ solo or no-go?

One of my goals has always been to study abroad before I graduate. Recently, an opportunity has come up to spend a year abroad in Spain, which would be a dream come true for me as I’ve been studying Spanish since I started high school. However, I’ve been dating my boyfriend for the last two years, and the time spent apart might hurt our relationship. I don’t want to pass up an opportunity like this, but I don’t know if I can be in a long-distance relationship for a year. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Afraid of Choices

Dear Afraid of Choices,

While college is the time of your life when dozens of opportunities are thrown at you left and right, it’s also the time when you have to learn to prioritize the things in life that you value.

See if it’s possible for your boyfriend to tag along on the trip. If not, you may have to accept that you’re between a rock and a hard place. But stay optimistic. You’re choosing between the two things that would make you equally happy: traveling or spending more time with your beau.

The first thing you’ll have to do is hash it out with your boyfriend. Sure, discussing these kinds of things can be emotionally draining, but if your boyfriend admires your ambition and wants you to achieve your goals, he should respect that you’ve included him in the conversation.

Decide as a pair between splitting or going long-distance if you choose to go abroad. If you call it quits, understand that traveling will be a bittersweet experience and your tapas may be filled with tears for the first couple of weeks. However, realize that you’d also enjoy the experience of salsa dancing with a new group of guys while overseas.

If you go long-distance, it won’t be easy. Between being unable to see each other in person for a year, having to keep each other updated through texts, calls and newly rainbow-puking snaps while possibly running the risk of one of you finding someone else (or worse, cheating), there’s much to fear when you switch to long distance.

Ultimately, the decision of whether you go abroad is up to you. While staying behind with your boyfriend is the easier option, in the end, it’ll lead to resentment – you’ll always wonder if you should have gone anyway.

Make the decision that’s best for you and your passport, and let the chips fall as they may.

-V

Advice Columnist

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...