Edge, Travel

Avoid stress of driving by using public transportation to explore Miami

Getting around Miami can sometimes feel like one endless traffic jam. Whether you’re tired of crawling down U.S. 1 or you don’t have access to a vehicle at all, public transportation is a convenient connection to the best of the 305. With so many exciting destinations accessible by Metro, there’s no need for those without cars to feel trapped on campus. Here’s a guide to navigating the city’s public transportation options.

Beaches

There’s no destination more classic Miami than South Beach. Ride the Metrorail to Government Center, then take the C, S or 120 bus across the bridge to your preferred spot.

For a more scenic beach getaway, take the 102 bus from the Brickell Metrorail station to Crandon Park, where you can lounge under palm trees on the sand. For an aquatic detour, get off the bus a few stops earlier at Miami Seaquarium.

Museums

Pérez Art Museum Miami is the perfect afternoon trip for modern art lovers, and it’s just a short walk away from the Museum Park Metromover station.

For history lovers, HistoryMiami offers an array of exhibitions and tours and is located just a short walk from the Government Center Metro station.

Away from the hustle and bustle of the city is Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, an elegant seaside getaway. It’s hard to miss this historic destination, which is perfect for picnics and has its own Metrorail station.

Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

Neighborhoods

When you’re craving a classier nightlife scene than Coconut Grove, check out the bars and gastropubs in Brickell, about a 10-minute ride from campus with its own Metrorail station.

If you’re looking for a taste of Cuban culture, the most authentic place to go is Little Havana. Catch the Route 8 or 207 bus from the Brickell Metrorail station. If you’re visiting during the monthly Viernes Culturales (Cultural Fridays) celebration, take advantage of the free trolley service. The Miami Design District is the place to go for high-end shopping and fine dining, so you can take the Route 9 bus from Government Center to experience this haven for luxury.

Entertainment

The Adrienne Arsht Center is Miami’s premiere destination for theatre, dance and classical music. To reach this cultural hub, take the Metrorail to the Government Center Station, then transfer to the Metromover and get off at the aptly named Adrienne Arsht Station.

Baseball fans can cheer on the home team at Marlins Park by taking the 17 bus from Vizcaya Metrorail Station.

Head to a Heat game or concert at the American Airlines Arena, which is easily accessible via the Park West Metromover station. Also check out the nearby Bayside Marketplace where you can dine at the Hard Rock Cafe or take a dinner cruise. Catch the Omni Loop mover from Government Center, and you’ll avoid both parking fees and traffic.

Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Olympia Theater is a gorgeous, historic space on Flagler Street that also hosts a wide variety of musical artists. Take the train to Government Center, then the Metromover to first street. The theatre is less than two blocks away.

For a more intimate concert experience, check out Bardot, a Wynwood music club with eclectic shows nearly every night. Take the Metrorail to Allapattah, then catch the 36 Bus to 36th Street at N. Miami Ave.

For a more intimate concert experience, check out Bardot, a Wynwood music club with eclectic shows nearly every night. Take the Metrorail to Allapattah, then catch the 36 Bus to 36 St at N. Miami Ave.

Madelyn Paquette

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...