Ibis, Distraction referendums to reward diligent, creative publications

A university’s student body is a collection of individuals who seek to learn, create and innovate, and student media is one of the best outlets for this spirit of ingenuity. Our campus publications are not only a product of many students’ hard work and creativity, but also a valuable resource for student readers. As such, they deserve the utmost support from all students.

The Miami Hurricane urges readers to support our fellow publications, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook, in this week’s Student Government elections. Both publications are undergoing a referendum vote to increase the funding allocated from the Student Activity Fee by $1 for each publication. If passed, the increased funding will help both publications cover printing costs.

Both the magazine and the yearbook are labors of love meticulously crafted by student writers, editors, designers and photographers dedicated to documenting the University of Miami experience with pride and a bit of flair. The professional-grade design and the relevant, smart content in these publications represent the school more than well and speak volumes to what UM students are capable of. Each publication enriches the campus culture in its own way and those who have not yet picked up a copy of Distraction or the Ibis are missing out.

Distraction, which publishes twice a semester, puts a spotlight on arts, culture and leisure. The fun lifestyle pieces even showcase student models. The magazine has a playful, colorful tone that encapsulates the student voice like no other on-campus publication. While hard news is important, having a publication that’s centered around the student culture strengthens a cohesive campus identity and provides insights tailored to our interests at the U.

The yearbook is also crucial to this sense of pride in being a Miami Hurricane. Ibis, created in the school’s inaugural year, provides all students with free, hardcover copies of the yearbook each fall semester. The staff keeps a pulse on student life at UM throughout the year to capture a detailed snapshot of student life. The work that Ibis does will be preserved for years to come when we want to share with our families and friends what life at the U was really like. Thus, it must be fully appreciated and supported.

Beyond that, student media, just like any media, owes a duty to the public, and involvement in the student media teaches students the responsibility of being good stewards of information.

You, the reader, as a student with a vote, also have a responsibility to fulfill. Take a few seconds to support student media at UM.

Voting is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Monday, Sept. 28 until Wednesday, Sept. 30. Ballots can be found on OrgSync at the following link: https://orgsync.com/81696/forms.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...