Ibis, Distraction referendums to reward diligent, creative publications

A university’s student body is a collection of individuals who seek to learn, create and innovate, and student media is one of the best outlets for this spirit of ingenuity. Our campus publications are not only a product of many students’ hard work and creativity, but also a valuable resource for student readers. As such, they deserve the utmost support from all students.

The Miami Hurricane urges readers to support our fellow publications, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook, in this week’s Student Government elections. Both publications are undergoing a referendum vote to increase the funding allocated from the Student Activity Fee by $1 for each publication. If passed, the increased funding will help both publications cover printing costs.

Both the magazine and the yearbook are labors of love meticulously crafted by student writers, editors, designers and photographers dedicated to documenting the University of Miami experience with pride and a bit of flair. The professional-grade design and the relevant, smart content in these publications represent the school more than well and speak volumes to what UM students are capable of. Each publication enriches the campus culture in its own way and those who have not yet picked up a copy of Distraction or the Ibis are missing out.

Distraction, which publishes twice a semester, puts a spotlight on arts, culture and leisure. The fun lifestyle pieces even showcase student models. The magazine has a playful, colorful tone that encapsulates the student voice like no other on-campus publication. While hard news is important, having a publication that’s centered around the student culture strengthens a cohesive campus identity and provides insights tailored to our interests at the U.

The yearbook is also crucial to this sense of pride in being a Miami Hurricane. Ibis, created in the school’s inaugural year, provides all students with free, hardcover copies of the yearbook each fall semester. The staff keeps a pulse on student life at UM throughout the year to capture a detailed snapshot of student life. The work that Ibis does will be preserved for years to come when we want to share with our families and friends what life at the U was really like. Thus, it must be fully appreciated and supported.

Beyond that, student media, just like any media, owes a duty to the public, and involvement in the student media teaches students the responsibility of being good stewards of information.

You, the reader, as a student with a vote, also have a responsibility to fulfill. Take a few seconds to support student media at UM.

Voting is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Monday, Sept. 28 until Wednesday, Sept. 30. Ballots can be found on OrgSync at the following link: https://orgsync.com/81696/forms.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...