Ibis, Distraction referendums to reward diligent, creative publications

A university’s student body is a collection of individuals who seek to learn, create and innovate, and student media is one of the best outlets for this spirit of ingenuity. Our campus publications are not only a product of many students’ hard work and creativity, but also a valuable resource for student readers. As such, they deserve the utmost support from all students.

The Miami Hurricane urges readers to support our fellow publications, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook, in this week’s Student Government elections. Both publications are undergoing a referendum vote to increase the funding allocated from the Student Activity Fee by $1 for each publication. If passed, the increased funding will help both publications cover printing costs.

Both the magazine and the yearbook are labors of love meticulously crafted by student writers, editors, designers and photographers dedicated to documenting the University of Miami experience with pride and a bit of flair. The professional-grade design and the relevant, smart content in these publications represent the school more than well and speak volumes to what UM students are capable of. Each publication enriches the campus culture in its own way and those who have not yet picked up a copy of Distraction or the Ibis are missing out.

Distraction, which publishes twice a semester, puts a spotlight on arts, culture and leisure. The fun lifestyle pieces even showcase student models. The magazine has a playful, colorful tone that encapsulates the student voice like no other on-campus publication. While hard news is important, having a publication that’s centered around the student culture strengthens a cohesive campus identity and provides insights tailored to our interests at the U.

The yearbook is also crucial to this sense of pride in being a Miami Hurricane. Ibis, created in the school’s inaugural year, provides all students with free, hardcover copies of the yearbook each fall semester. The staff keeps a pulse on student life at UM throughout the year to capture a detailed snapshot of student life. The work that Ibis does will be preserved for years to come when we want to share with our families and friends what life at the U was really like. Thus, it must be fully appreciated and supported.

Beyond that, student media, just like any media, owes a duty to the public, and involvement in the student media teaches students the responsibility of being good stewards of information.

You, the reader, as a student with a vote, also have a responsibility to fulfill. Take a few seconds to support student media at UM.

Voting is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Monday, Sept. 28 until Wednesday, Sept. 30. Ballots can be found on OrgSync at the following link: https://orgsync.com/81696/forms.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...