Academics, News

Steven Joel Sotloff Memorial Endowed Scholarship Fund created to uplift journalism students

Steven Joel Sotloff. Photo courtesy of Arthur Sotloff.

Arthur and Shirley Sotloff, the parents of Steven Sotloff, a Miami-based journalist who was beheaded by ISIS militants in 2014 after being kidnapped, have pledged $125,000 to the School of Communication to create the Steven Joel Sotloff Memorial Endowed Scholarship Fund.

The fund, created through the 2LIVES: Steven Joel Sotloff Memorial Foundation, will provide a yearly scholarship to a journalism student at the University of Miami who is in need of financial aid and has shown academic success.

Arthur said his son was trying, through his reporting, to help those who were suffering.

“He took it as his responsibility to bring these stories to life,” Arthur said. “He went to the Middle East and saw all of the injustices that affected the people, and his writing was all about the people and the human factor. He gave his life for this.”

While Steven did not attend UM, his parents say he was a fan of the Hurricanes and the school was an integral part of the community in which their son was born and raised.

“We are honored and proud to be associated with the Sotloff family and the memory of Steven. This scholarship throws good against evil, making a gift from tragedy,” said SoC Dean Gregory Shepherd. “Steven practiced journalism so he could tell the stories of everyday people suffering through the cruel conflicts of the Middle East. He practiced heroic journalism. I have strong faith that the students benefitting from this award will carry that heroism forward.”

Last November, the school hosted an event in which Ilene Prusher, a former editor of Sotloff’s, spoke to students, faculty and alumni about the dangers facing journalists covering conflicts in the Middle East. She said that journalists who wanted to help resolve the conflicts had become targets for militants looking to ransom their lives to the journalist’s country or news organization.

“Steven Sotloff and James Foley were both freelancers who were working in Syria who really went with the intention of conveying a picture of what’s happening in one of the most devastating conflicts of our time,” Prusher said. “Instead of shedding light, they’ve had their blood shed.”

Sotloff wrote for several publications including Time Magazine, The Christian Science Monitor, The Washington Post and L.A. Times

William Riggin

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...