Academics, Administration, Community, News

School of Architecture honored for serving Little Havana

The City of Miami celebrated “Rodolphe El-Khoury Day” to acknowledge the achievements of the University of Miami’s School of Architecture on Thursday, Sept. 24.

The day’s namesake, the dean of School of Architecture, was honored on Wednesday at Miami City Hall for orchestrating a large-scale and exceedingly impactful community service event dubbed “U-Serve.”

“It’s really part of the curriculum…. It’s integrated into every aspect of the school,” El-Khoury said of giving back to the community.

U-Serve took place March 25 when over 200 students and staff came together in Miami’s Little Havana neighborhood. Using a mobile app designed by the faculty of the school, they took inventory of properties and documented architectural resources. The project was a huge success; participants were able to map out over 400 properties in Little Havana, helping to preserve the rich cultural heritage of this vibrant Hispanic community.

“We owe a lot to the University of Miami School of Architecture,” proclaimed Mayor Tomás Regalado in front of an assembly at Miami City Hall on Wednesday morning. The mayor  went on to present the dean with a proclamatory notice, symbolizing the City of Miami’s recognition and appreciation for the efforts of everyone involved on March 25.  

The recognition went beyond the municipal level; the efforts of the Architectural School toward preserving Little Havana was acknowledged by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which places it among one of the 11 most endangered historic places in America.

U-Serve Day wasn’t the first occasion in which School of Architecture has stepped up to the plate in supporting the city of Miami; as El-Khoury recalled in his speech, former SoA dean Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk and professor Sonia Chao, among others, played an integral role in planning the reconstruction of South Dade after the devastation of Hurricane Andrew.

It is clear that Dean El-Khoury is conscious of the community and the School of Architecture’s responsibility to contribute.

“We train citizens as much as architects, and we will continue to do this,” he said. “We are active in thinking about the future of the city.”

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user gabrielmbulla.

David Ufberg

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...