Edge, Food

Cooking class provides extraordinary culinary experience

Most UM students think of the Herbert Wellness Center as a place to work on their fitness, whether by logging miles on the treadmill, hitting the weight room, or dancing through a Zumba class. But on ocassional evenings, a group of amateur chefs take advantage of an under-utilized offering at the gym: a gourmet cooking class.

Tucked away behind the Sales Office, the Wellness Center has its own fully outfitted instructional kitchen, which houses these culinary classes on a weeknight every few weeks. Over the course of the two-hour class, students are divided into groups and work together to make an assortment of themed recipes by julienning, roasting, blending, juicing, and so forth.

On the menu for a recent class, entitled “Summer’s Bounty”, was a trio of salads: spicy roasted corn and Feta, Thai green papaya and mango with cilantro dressing, and lentils with Kalamata olives and fresh mint.

The evening was taught and supervised by Chef Mercedes Varela-Mendez. Students learned more from her than merely the steps of the recipe. During “Summer’s Bounty”, she demonstrated how best to slice basil, the difference between store-bought and fresh-ground pepper, and the importance of sharpening kitchen knives. Under her watchful gaze, even the most inept cooking novice will not only have a fun time but also learn a vast amount in just the short two-hour duration.

At the end of the night, students don’t just get to admire their culinary creations.The class concludes with a family-style dinner where everyone can savor the fruits (and vegetables) of their labor.

There are five more classes throughout the semester, including vegetarian, Spanish, Thanksgiving and French menus. Next up on Oct. 1 is a night of distinct Miami flavor with Cuban dishes.

Classes are $20 for gym members. Interested participants can sign up in person at the Sales Office, by phone at 305-284-5433, or online at miami.edu/wellness.

Feature photo courtesy of University Communications/University of Miami.

Madelyn Paquette

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...