Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Senate Elections, Student Government Awareness Week, Amendment to Statutes and Constitution

Senate Elections

Elections for the Senate Board run next week from Monday to Wednesday. Students can vote for who will best represent their voices and concerns.

There will be 27 seats open, including representation of different housing, classes and colleges.

Voting can be done on OrgSync from Monday to Tuesday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Voting can be done in person in the Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Results will be announced on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

Student Government Awareness Week

Student Government has been hosting numerous events this past week to connect more with the campus community through fun events. Co-sponsored by United Black Students, Thumpin’ Thursday is on Sept. 24, and there will be free appetizers at the Rat. Those who attend will be able to interact with both organizations.

Canes After Dark takes place Friday, and this month’s theme is For the Love of Art. The Wynwood-inspired theme will feature aerial artists, human statues, free food and free tank tops for the first 100 students.

Amendment to Statutes and Constitution

A bill to amend Student Government Statutes and Constitution was passed to highlight new mentions.

The bill would incorporate the Green Committee into the Energy & Conservation Organization. The committee will be a subdivision and will work to carry out sustainable initiatives at the university.

The constitution was altered so that no person in Student Government can concurrently hold any two offices within the Elections Commission or the executive, legislative and judicial branches.

Notes

Margo Hall and Briana Meneses-Sullivan were sworn in as the senators of UPride/SpectrUM and the National Pan-Hellenic Council, respectively.

Academic Affairs wishes to create a universal absence policy for the school.

Student Affairs is looking into installing skateboard racks for those who need to store their boards while in class.

The green sponsorship form is live, meaning any organization that makes their events environmentally friendly can be sponsored by the Energy & Conservation Organization Agency.

Marcus Lim

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of