Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Senate Elections, Student Government Awareness Week, Amendment to Statutes and Constitution

Senate Elections

Elections for the Senate Board run next week from Monday to Wednesday. Students can vote for who will best represent their voices and concerns.

There will be 27 seats open, including representation of different housing, classes and colleges.

Voting can be done on OrgSync from Monday to Tuesday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Voting can be done in person in the Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Results will be announced on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

Student Government Awareness Week

Student Government has been hosting numerous events this past week to connect more with the campus community through fun events. Co-sponsored by United Black Students, Thumpin’ Thursday is on Sept. 24, and there will be free appetizers at the Rat. Those who attend will be able to interact with both organizations.

Canes After Dark takes place Friday, and this month’s theme is For the Love of Art. The Wynwood-inspired theme will feature aerial artists, human statues, free food and free tank tops for the first 100 students.

Amendment to Statutes and Constitution

A bill to amend Student Government Statutes and Constitution was passed to highlight new mentions.

The bill would incorporate the Green Committee into the Energy & Conservation Organization. The committee will be a subdivision and will work to carry out sustainable initiatives at the university.

The constitution was altered so that no person in Student Government can concurrently hold any two offices within the Elections Commission or the executive, legislative and judicial branches.

Notes

Margo Hall and Briana Meneses-Sullivan were sworn in as the senators of UPride/SpectrUM and the National Pan-Hellenic Council, respectively.

Academic Affairs wishes to create a universal absence policy for the school.

Student Affairs is looking into installing skateboard racks for those who need to store their boards while in class.

The green sponsorship form is live, meaning any organization that makes their events environmentally friendly can be sponsored by the Energy & Conservation Organization Agency.

Marcus Lim

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...