Football, Sports

Marques Gayot hospitalized for neck injury, expected to make full recovery

MQMJVBGAWCNOYND.20150609154234UPDATE: Statement from the school: “Sophomore linebacker Marques Gayot was released from Ryder Trauma Center this morning and is expected to make a full recovery.”

Sophomore linebacker Marques Gayot was airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center for a neck injury he suffered during practice, the school announced Wednesday.

“Linebacker Marques Gayot suffered a neck injury in a team period at practice today and was transported to Ryder Trauma Center,” the statement from the school said. “He has undergone a battery of tests and will be kept overnight for precaution. He will be placed in a neck collar and released tomorrow morning. He is expected to make a full recovery.”

Head Coach Al Golden was scheduled to talk during an ACC teleconference at 11:50 a.m., but did not participate.

Gayot is a six-foot-one, 222-pound sophomore linebacker out of Lake Worth, Florida. Gayot has played in all three games for the Hurricanes this season, recording seven tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.

The Canes are already without sophomore linebacker Darrion Owens, who is out for the season with a knee injury, and junior linebacker Jermaine Grace’s presence is questionable for Miami’s next game against Cincinnati on Oct. 1 due to his shoulder injury and possible concussion.

Mark Singer

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas