Campus Life, Health, Multimedia, News, Video

Free yoga class unites students, faculty, promotes relaxation

Despite a violent thunderstorm booming and crackling outside, about 100 students, faculty and staff attended “UM’s Largest Yoga Class” and found inner peace Tuesday evening at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. Attendants received free beach towels, and 10 lucky winners also received raffle prizes, including semester yoga passes typically valued at $60.

Men and women of all ages and skill levels participated, filling the basketball court and bringing the UM community together. Yoga instructors who work at the Wellness Center took turns teaching the class from a stage in the front of the room and assisted participants when they weren’t teaching. The instructors received an applause following the hour-long practice.

After the class, instructors and organizers raffled off the semester passes, headphones and $5-off coupons for Wellness Center yoga classes, which are regularly $7. Representatives of the event’s sponsors, KIND Snacks and UM Dining Services gave away free food.

“I hope this class introduced more people to yoga. It’s a great exercise to re-energize, focus on yourself and not think about work. Even if you love your job, you cannot be thinking about it all the time,” Associate Dean of Students Steve Priepke said after participating in the class.

The Herbert Wellness Center hosts UM's Largest Yoga Class Tuesday evening. Students, faculty and alumni were welcomed to the free class taught by seven instructors. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

The Herbert Wellness Center hosts UM’s Largest Yoga Class Tuesday evening. Students, faculty and alumni were welcomed to the free class taught by seven instructors. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

The class was a part of the Healthy Campus Initiative, a collaborative effort between the Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA) and several universities including UM, that aims to improve student lifestyles by encouraging physical activity and healthy eating on college campuses.

“We are finding ways to offer more opportunities for health and wellness,” Assistant Director of Wellness and Camp Ashley Falcon said.

The event organizers chose to plan a yoga class to celebrate National Yoga Month, which occurs every September, designated by the Department of Health and Human Services.

The class was one of many special events planned in honor of the Herbert Wellness Center’s 20th anniversary, which will be officially celebrated on Feb. 2nd. The Wellness Center has many more exciting events planned to honor this anniversary, including a spooky studio cycling event in October and a fitness competition in November.

Students can find more information about upcoming events on the Herbert Wellness Center Facebook page and by searching “#HWC20” on Instagram and Twitter.

Madeline Kaufman

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...