Campus Life, Health, Multimedia, News, Video

Free yoga class unites students, faculty, promotes relaxation

Despite a violent thunderstorm booming and crackling outside, about 100 students, faculty and staff attended “UM’s Largest Yoga Class” and found inner peace Tuesday evening at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. Attendants received free beach towels, and 10 lucky winners also received raffle prizes, including semester yoga passes typically valued at $60.

Men and women of all ages and skill levels participated, filling the basketball court and bringing the UM community together. Yoga instructors who work at the Wellness Center took turns teaching the class from a stage in the front of the room and assisted participants when they weren’t teaching. The instructors received an applause following the hour-long practice.

After the class, instructors and organizers raffled off the semester passes, headphones and $5-off coupons for Wellness Center yoga classes, which are regularly $7. Representatives of the event’s sponsors, KIND Snacks and UM Dining Services gave away free food.

“I hope this class introduced more people to yoga. It’s a great exercise to re-energize, focus on yourself and not think about work. Even if you love your job, you cannot be thinking about it all the time,” Associate Dean of Students Steve Priepke said after participating in the class.

The Herbert Wellness Center hosts UM's Largest Yoga Class Tuesday evening. Students, faculty and alumni were welcomed to the free class taught by seven instructors. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

The Herbert Wellness Center hosts UM’s Largest Yoga Class Tuesday evening. Students, faculty and alumni were welcomed to the free class taught by seven instructors. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

The class was a part of the Healthy Campus Initiative, a collaborative effort between the Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA) and several universities including UM, that aims to improve student lifestyles by encouraging physical activity and healthy eating on college campuses.

“We are finding ways to offer more opportunities for health and wellness,” Assistant Director of Wellness and Camp Ashley Falcon said.

The event organizers chose to plan a yoga class to celebrate National Yoga Month, which occurs every September, designated by the Department of Health and Human Services.

The class was one of many special events planned in honor of the Herbert Wellness Center’s 20th anniversary, which will be officially celebrated on Feb. 2nd. The Wellness Center has many more exciting events planned to honor this anniversary, including a spooky studio cycling event in October and a fitness competition in November.

Students can find more information about upcoming events on the Herbert Wellness Center Facebook page and by searching “#HWC20” on Instagram and Twitter.

Madeline Kaufman

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...