Campus Life, Health, Multimedia, News, Video

Free yoga class unites students, faculty, promotes relaxation

Despite a violent thunderstorm booming and crackling outside, about 100 students, faculty and staff attended “UM’s Largest Yoga Class” and found inner peace Tuesday evening at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. Attendants received free beach towels, and 10 lucky winners also received raffle prizes, including semester yoga passes typically valued at $60.

Men and women of all ages and skill levels participated, filling the basketball court and bringing the UM community together. Yoga instructors who work at the Wellness Center took turns teaching the class from a stage in the front of the room and assisted participants when they weren’t teaching. The instructors received an applause following the hour-long practice.

After the class, instructors and organizers raffled off the semester passes, headphones and $5-off coupons for Wellness Center yoga classes, which are regularly $7. Representatives of the event’s sponsors, KIND Snacks and UM Dining Services gave away free food.

“I hope this class introduced more people to yoga. It’s a great exercise to re-energize, focus on yourself and not think about work. Even if you love your job, you cannot be thinking about it all the time,” Associate Dean of Students Steve Priepke said after participating in the class.

The Herbert Wellness Center hosts UM's Largest Yoga Class Tuesday evening. Students, faculty and alumni were welcomed to the free class taught by seven instructors. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

The Herbert Wellness Center hosts UM’s Largest Yoga Class Tuesday evening. Students, faculty and alumni were welcomed to the free class taught by seven instructors. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

The class was a part of the Healthy Campus Initiative, a collaborative effort between the Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA) and several universities including UM, that aims to improve student lifestyles by encouraging physical activity and healthy eating on college campuses.

“We are finding ways to offer more opportunities for health and wellness,” Assistant Director of Wellness and Camp Ashley Falcon said.

The event organizers chose to plan a yoga class to celebrate National Yoga Month, which occurs every September, designated by the Department of Health and Human Services.

The class was one of many special events planned in honor of the Herbert Wellness Center’s 20th anniversary, which will be officially celebrated on Feb. 2nd. The Wellness Center has many more exciting events planned to honor this anniversary, including a spooky studio cycling event in October and a fitness competition in November.

Students can find more information about upcoming events on the Herbert Wellness Center Facebook page and by searching “#HWC20” on Instagram and Twitter.

Madeline Kaufman

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...