Wynwood’s monthly gathering, Turnip the Beet, promotes sustainable living practices

During this Saturday's Turnip the Beet festival in Wynwood, vendors showcase their sustainable foods and products. The festival takes place every third Saturday of the month. Madelyn Paquette // Contributing Photographer

During this Saturday’s Turnip the Beet festival in Wynwood, vendors showcase their sustainable foods and products. The festival takes place every third Saturday of the month. Madelyn Paquette // Contributing Photographer

Although Wynwood is best known for its Art Walk every second Saturday night, there’s a new festival that has quietly sprung up in Miami’s haven for all things hip.

Instead of the loud music, outrageous food trucks and avant-garde exhibits of Art Walk, this celebration is all about returning to simplicity and sustainability. The budding monthly gathering, whimsically dubbed Turnip the Beet, occurs every third Saturday of the month.

Held a bit off the beaten path, Turnip the Beet is housed at Colony1’s lot, a short walk from the main Wynwood strip. The event schedule features community gardening, meditation sessions and yoga practice. For those looking to avoid breaking a sweat, there are also group discussions on such topics as peace and metaphysics and workshops on various organic creations.

The festival, which provides a refreshing opportunity to get back to basics, is produced by Colony1, an emerging Miami organization that aims to promote sustainable living practices. The project is sponsored by the non-profit Art of Cultural Evolution, which is working to build an eco-friendly art and environmental research complex on grant land from Miami-Dade County. In the meantime, Colony1 is organizing smaller scale events like Turnip the Beet to promote collaboration between the arts and sciences, as well as conservation.

Turnip the Beet also hosts a variety of vendors, with a focus on homemade and natural products. Visitors can sample star fruit jam, smell organic sugar scrubs and peruse hand-woven purses, among other options. Many of these sellers also contribute raffle prizes to raise money for Colony1’s future projects.

College life can be fast-paced and stressful at even the best of times. If you’re looking for a chance to catch your breath, Turnip the Beet is an unconventional respite from pressures of our non-stop, plugged-in culture.

If you go:

What: Turnip the Beet

Where: Colony1, 550 Perimeter Road (22nd St.), Miami, Fla., 33127

When: Every third Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. 

Cost: Free

For more information, visit artofculturalevolution.org or www.facebook.com/Colony1Miami

Madelyn Paquette

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...