Sports, Tennis

Three Canes win tennis titles at Miami Fall Invite

Freshman Wendy Zhang competes in the Orange Singles Draw during this weekend's Fall Tennis Invitational. Zhang advanced to Saturday's quarterfinals. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

Freshman Wendy Zhang competes in the Orange Singles Draw during this weekend’s Fall Tennis Invitational. Zhang advanced to Saturday’s quarterfinals. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

The Miami Fall Invite ended Sunday with three young Canes taking the first spot in two of the finals categories. Miami went 19-12 overall in the tournament that spanned Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Sophomore Yolimar Ogando took the top prize in the Orange Singles competition. Freshman Clara Tanielian and sophomore Wendy Zhang came in first in the Orange Doubles competition.

Ogando, ranked No. 94 in the country, got the best of Auburn University’s Pleun Burgmans, ranked No. 47. Despite being ranked lower and the heat of the harsh Sunday morning sun, Ogando came out on top, winning 7-6 (7-5) and 7-5 in the final.

“Yolimar played great tennis today with some minor hiccups, but they are a part of the game,” Associate Head Coach Laura Vallverdu said to HurricaneSports.com. “If she continues to push her limits, she can win the tournament and set herself up for a great year.”

Ogando also played with partner Silvia Fuentes in the Green Doubles competition. They lost in Saturday’s semifinals versus Vanderbilt’s Summer Dvorak and Ellie Yates, but won in the consolation match against Natsumi Okamoto and Gabriela Rezende.

Tanielian and Zhang defeated fellow Canes freshman Ana Madcur and senior Clementina Riobueno 6-4 in the finals on Saturday.

“Clara and Wendy are fun to watch on the doubles court,” Vallverdu said to HurricaneSports.com. “They have a lot of room for improvement, but it is a great starting point. Our focus as a team is big on the doubles point, so I am very pleased the girls are understanding that and putting the importance necessary on the matter.”

Tanielian was also impressive in the Green Singles competition. She made it all the way to the semifinals on Saturday before losing 6-4, 6-4 to eventual overall winner Fernanda Contreras of Vanderbilt. Madcur bested Auburn’s Alannah Griffin in the Green Singles consolation finals.

The Hurricanes will be back in action on Sept. 25-27 when they travel to the Puerto Rico Fall Classic.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...