Sports, Tennis

Three Canes win tennis titles at Miami Fall Invite

Freshman Wendy Zhang competes in the Orange Singles Draw during this weekend's Fall Tennis Invitational. Zhang advanced to Saturday's quarterfinals. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

Freshman Wendy Zhang competes in the Orange Singles Draw during this weekend’s Fall Tennis Invitational. Zhang advanced to Saturday’s quarterfinals. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

The Miami Fall Invite ended Sunday with three young Canes taking the first spot in two of the finals categories. Miami went 19-12 overall in the tournament that spanned Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Sophomore Yolimar Ogando took the top prize in the Orange Singles competition. Freshman Clara Tanielian and sophomore Wendy Zhang came in first in the Orange Doubles competition.

Ogando, ranked No. 94 in the country, got the best of Auburn University’s Pleun Burgmans, ranked No. 47. Despite being ranked lower and the heat of the harsh Sunday morning sun, Ogando came out on top, winning 7-6 (7-5) and 7-5 in the final.

“Yolimar played great tennis today with some minor hiccups, but they are a part of the game,” Associate Head Coach Laura Vallverdu said to HurricaneSports.com. “If she continues to push her limits, she can win the tournament and set herself up for a great year.”

Ogando also played with partner Silvia Fuentes in the Green Doubles competition. They lost in Saturday’s semifinals versus Vanderbilt’s Summer Dvorak and Ellie Yates, but won in the consolation match against Natsumi Okamoto and Gabriela Rezende.

Tanielian and Zhang defeated fellow Canes freshman Ana Madcur and senior Clementina Riobueno 6-4 in the finals on Saturday.

“Clara and Wendy are fun to watch on the doubles court,” Vallverdu said to HurricaneSports.com. “They have a lot of room for improvement, but it is a great starting point. Our focus as a team is big on the doubles point, so I am very pleased the girls are understanding that and putting the importance necessary on the matter.”

Tanielian was also impressive in the Green Singles competition. She made it all the way to the semifinals on Saturday before losing 6-4, 6-4 to eventual overall winner Fernanda Contreras of Vanderbilt. Madcur bested Auburn’s Alannah Griffin in the Green Singles consolation finals.

The Hurricanes will be back in action on Sept. 25-27 when they travel to the Puerto Rico Fall Classic.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...