V's Take

Dear V: Struggling with sanitary squabbles

The last few weeks my girlfriend and I have been fighting constantly. It’s usually over dumb stuff, like who washed the dishes last or whose turn it is to do laundry. At first, I thought we were just going through a rough patch, but now I’m thinking we may not be compatible living together. She’s a lot more clean than I am. In fact, she’s obsessive about it. I’m not a slob by any means, but if I forget to make my bed before leaving for class, it won’t ruin my day. What should I do to alleviate the tension? I don’t want to end this relationship because I love her, but I don’t want to keep fanning a dying flame, either.

Sincerely,

Type B

Dear Type B,

Sometimes, no matter how much you care about a person, you might not be meant to be with them. But, if this is something you’re willing to work on, don’t give up yet.

Maybe there’s an underlying reason for your tension that’s popping up through less important issues like you leaving the toilet seat up. A lost job, ended friendship, death in the family or stress from school – each could lead to lashing out. Try to find the real source before attributing it all to your girlfriend being finicky.

However, if you’re certain that the cause of your fights is conflicting cleanliness styles, let’s tidy up this mess.

Communicate cleanly: instead of calling your girl a “neat freak,” explain that you’re trying your best to keep her happy, but her habits are interfering with your own happiness and the time you two spend together.

Section off space: give your girlfriend space that she can keep organized to a tee, like her nightstand or desk, while allowing yourself your own zone to roam free, too – like your bookcase or man cave.

Empty your emotions: remember that your girlfriend’s fussiness isn’t an attack toward you, and remind her that leaving a spoon on the counter isn’t an insult to her, either.

Remember your relationship: don’t forget why you’re together.

If you need ideas for how to solve conflicts or how to prevent them before they occur, try two ideas.

Every time you bicker, add a dollar to a “fight jar.” Once every few months, get dinner using that money (hopefully in the McDonald’s price range rather than a classy restaurant). Also, next time you disagree, you should each take a long drag from a helium balloon and continue the discussion. Whoever laughs first, loses.

Healthy communication and compromise will form a bridge so that Type A and Type B can live in peace … so long as no one forgets to change the toilet paper roll.

-V

Advice Columnist

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...