Crime and Safety, News

Bus vandalized in parking lot, perpetrator still unknown

On September 6th, an office bus owned by Academy Bus, LLC was broken into and vandalized in the Metrorail parking lot on Ponce de Leon Boulevard. The violaters have not yet been identified. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

On Sept. 6, an office bus owned by Academy Bus, LLC was broken into and vandalized in the Metrorail parking lot on Ponce de Leon Boulevard. The violator has not yet been identified. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

An unidentified individual entered, ransacked and vandalized a bus that was parked in the Green Parking Lot under the Metrorail on Ponce de Leon Blvd. in the early hours of Sunday, Sept. 6. The shuttle bus is owned by Academy Bus LLC, a transportation service that the University of Miami uses.

According to a police report from the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD), the bus – which is used as an office – was parked under the Metrorail around 2 a.m. for overnight storage after UM’s first football game.

Between the time it was parked and 4 p.m. Sunday, it was broken into and ransacked. The perpetrator took the keys to another bus from the lock box and used them to enter the second bus.

Bus Surveillance UMPD

Surveillance photo courtesy UMPD

In the second bus (#13009), the perpetrator knocked down a GPS device and security camera. UMPD reviewed video surveillance from the bus and has released a campus community information flyer in hopes of identifying the intruder. UMPD has not confirmed whether or not he is a UM student.

There were no damages to the interior of the office bus, according to the police report. The keys were recovered from the driver’s seat in bus #13009. The virtually harmless nature of the crime led one Academy Bus employee, who has chosen to remain anonymous, to believe it was the result of a prank or drunken misbehavior.

The bus used as an office contained several items of greater value, such as a television and a fax machine. Those, the employee noted, could have been stolen and sold but they were not.

“You can normally tell … They will usually destroy things, they will usually steal things. Nothing was destroyed and nothing was stolen. It was just vandalism,” he said.

According to the employee, the office bus should have been locked overnight. However, the bus is old and could easily have been broken into, even if it was locked.

“That bus is so old, it wouldn’t take much to get that lock unlocked,” he said.

This case is still under investigation by UMPD.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...