Golf, Sports

Women’s golf performs strongly in first tournament

The Hurricanes golf team started the fall 2015-16 season off strong with an eighth place finish at the 37th annual 2015 Dick McGuire Invitational held on Monday and Tuesday in Albuquerque, N.M..

The Hurricanes opened the 54-hole tournament against 17 other teams with a total score of 11-over-par on 595 shots through two rounds on Monday at the par 73, 6, 315-yard UNM Championship Golf Course.

The UNM Championship Course, known as one of the top 25 public golf courses in the country according to Golf Digest Magazine, is full of dangerous holes that can ruin a round.

“The course was a bit tricky, but the girls handled it well,” head coach Patti Rizzo said to HurricaneSports.com.

Junior Delfina Acosta, who posted three top 10 finishes last season, started off slow with a round one 75, but came back strong later in the day with an impressive score of 66 in the second round. She managed a whopping eight birdies in that round, putting her in second place at five-under-par.

Fellow junior Daniela Darquea, who recorded four top 10 finishes last season, was no slouch either. She started on the right foot, opening the tournament with a round one 70. Although slowing down a bit and posting a 75 in round two, she placed in the top 15 at one-under-par.

The team continued its solid play on Tuesday. Darquea finished tied for third thanks to a 68 in the final round to put her at six-under-par for the tournament. Acosta didn’t make as many birdies as she probably would have hoped for in her final round of 74, but she still tied for eighth at four-under-par.

Another bright spot for the Canes was freshman Dewi Weber, who completed her final round with a bang by posting a 68. This brought her overall score to one-under-par, which left her tied for 18th place.

The Canes finished the three-round tournament with an overall score of seven-under-par on 883 shots.

Miami’s next tournament is the Jim West Challenge in San Antonio, Texas on Oct. 4-6.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...