Campus Life, News

News Briefs 9/17: Mayor’s Budget, GOP Debate Watch Party, Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

Mayor’s Budget

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Giménez proposed his budget for the 2015-16 fiscal year in a memorandum dated for consideration on Thursday. In the memorandum, UM is allocated $146,712 in proposed funding;  $94,500 is for multidimensional family therapy for juvenile offenders, $28,114 is for home based parenting services for strengthening at risk families and $24,098 is for preventing abuse through responsive parenting.

Memebers of UM's College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Memebers of UM’s College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

GOP Debate Watch Party 

The University of Miami College Republicans hosted a watch party at the Rathskeller for the second Republican Party debate, hosted by CNN at the Reagan Presidential Library in Washington, D.C. Donald Trump, Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Carly Fiorina, John Kasich and Chris Christie participated in the debate. Donald Trump and Dr. Ben Carson entered the debate first and second, respectively, in recent polling.

Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

The window to nominate new members for the Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society closes Friday at 5 p.m. The society is one of the oldest on campus and accepts exemplary students, faculty and alumni. Nominations can be submitted online on the ODK OrgSync page.

William Riggin

Karin Wilkins, dean of the University of Miami School of Communication, examines the challenges faci ...

The new testing effort, announced Friday by Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez, will use a finger prick to chec ...

A University of Miami scientist is awarded a Pew grant to study coral reef restoration in the Caribb ...

How the choices made by Austrian psychiatrist Viktor Frankl during the Holocaust changed the course ...

A medical specialist with the University of Miami Health System and the Miller School of Medicine ha ...