Campus Life, News

News Briefs 9/17: Mayor’s Budget, GOP Debate Watch Party, Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

Mayor’s Budget

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Giménez proposed his budget for the 2015-16 fiscal year in a memorandum dated for consideration on Thursday. In the memorandum, UM is allocated $146,712 in proposed funding;  $94,500 is for multidimensional family therapy for juvenile offenders, $28,114 is for home based parenting services for strengthening at risk families and $24,098 is for preventing abuse through responsive parenting.

Memebers of UM's College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Memebers of UM’s College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

GOP Debate Watch Party 

The University of Miami College Republicans hosted a watch party at the Rathskeller for the second Republican Party debate, hosted by CNN at the Reagan Presidential Library in Washington, D.C. Donald Trump, Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Carly Fiorina, John Kasich and Chris Christie participated in the debate. Donald Trump and Dr. Ben Carson entered the debate first and second, respectively, in recent polling.

Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

The window to nominate new members for the Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society closes Friday at 5 p.m. The society is one of the oldest on campus and accepts exemplary students, faculty and alumni. Nominations can be submitted online on the ODK OrgSync page.

William Riggin

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...