Campus Life, News

News Briefs 9/17: Mayor’s Budget, GOP Debate Watch Party, Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

Mayor’s Budget

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Giménez proposed his budget for the 2015-16 fiscal year in a memorandum dated for consideration on Thursday. In the memorandum, UM is allocated $146,712 in proposed funding;  $94,500 is for multidimensional family therapy for juvenile offenders, $28,114 is for home based parenting services for strengthening at risk families and $24,098 is for preventing abuse through responsive parenting.

Memebers of UM's College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Memebers of UM’s College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

GOP Debate Watch Party 

The University of Miami College Republicans hosted a watch party at the Rathskeller for the second Republican Party debate, hosted by CNN at the Reagan Presidential Library in Washington, D.C. Donald Trump, Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Carly Fiorina, John Kasich and Chris Christie participated in the debate. Donald Trump and Dr. Ben Carson entered the debate first and second, respectively, in recent polling.

Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

The window to nominate new members for the Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society closes Friday at 5 p.m. The society is one of the oldest on campus and accepts exemplary students, faculty and alumni. Nominations can be submitted online on the ODK OrgSync page.

William Riggin

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...