Miami’s best spots for a family-friendly weekend

Family Weekend is quickly approaching, and with it comes the chance to show off your home away from home to the people you love. But with classes piling on the work, it can be hard to find the time to plan a truly great itinerary. Before your family arrives on Thursday, use these recommendations as a road map for a uniquely Miami experience they’re sure to love.

Thursday and Friday

Your parents can only walk around the lake so many times, so while you’re in class on Thursday and Friday, send them to hang out at the iconic local bookstore Books & Books on Miracle Mile. For a funkier breakfast option, they can try the Australian-inspired Threefold Cafe on the Mile – the avocado toast and breakfast fried rice are unlike any other fare in the city.

Or they can grab a cold brew at the trendy Panther Coffee in Wynwood. A walk around the Art District is a great way to spend the afternoon and out-of-towners will surely be amazed by the mural-covered buildings.

At lunchtime, get the best bread in Miami at Zak the Baker’s cafe, which is right around the block. If you’ve had your fill of Wynwood, head to the Grove to sample one of the creative burger offerings at LoKal or a decadent Miami brunch at Greenstreet Cafe, where they offer indulgent red velvet pancakes and banana Nutella French toast.

For dinner, meat lovers should head to Swine Southern Table & Bar on Miracle Mile for a smokehouse feast, while vegetarians can sample the veggie dishes at Blue Collar in the MiMO district (although there’s plenty for carnivores to devour, too).

Saturday

Miami offers plenty of family-friendly activities beyond the requisite campus tour and picture at the U. Of course, there’s the football game against Nebraska on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

However, if your parents aren’t ready to brave the tailgates, there are other options. Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is perfect for a morning stroll, or if your guests are more historically inclined, Vizcaya Museum & Gardens offers a stunning respite from the city.

After a long day exploring Miami, a delicious dinner is a must. Check out Whisk, tucked away behind Sunset, for a comfort food fix, or the nearby Station 5 for inventive American fusion. To experience Miami’s food truck craze, try Burger Beast’s Street Food Festival at Magic City Casino, with dozens of vendors, live music and performances.

Sunday

To give your family a taste of a Miami staple at a bargain price, check out Divino Ceviche on Miracle Mile, which offers $20 all-you-can-eat ceviche for Sunday brunch.

Families from colder climates are often clamoring to visit the beach. So, while South Beach may seem like the obvious place to visit with your family on Sunday, a less crowded, more scenic location is Crandon Park on Key Biscayne. Alternately, head to the Venetian Pool just a few miles from campus and enjoy the beautiful facility and pristine water.

Art aficionados can start at the Lowe on campus, but for those craving more, a visit to the Pérez Art Museum should do the trick.

Once you’ve explored Miami, finish off an adventurous weekend with your loved ones by taking them out to a 305-themed spot: Little Havana. Grab some Cuban food at renowned tourist favorite Versailles. Or try Exquisito, conveniently located a short walk from Azucar, one of the area’s best ice cream shops.

Madelyn Paquette

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...