Campus Life, News, Uncategorized

Family weekend events feature classes, speaker Lythcott-Haims

Mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters of University of Miami students will become honorary Canes on Friday for Family Weekend. The weekend is hosted by the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement (DOCSI) and will have a full schedule of workshops, model classes, resource presentations and feature keynote speaker Julie Lythcott-Haims.

Family Weekend was originally Parents Day when it started in 1987. Then it expanded to become Parents Weekend and, finally, to include the whole family. The university hosts the weekend about a month into the fall semester every year.

“It gives families an opportunity to reconnect with their student and with the larger University of Miami community,” said Aysha Daniels, director of orientation and commuter student involvement.

All classes, meetings and workshops are scheduled for Friday, so families can take the rest of the weekend to explore the U and the rest of Miami.

julielythcotthaims

Lythcott-Haims

Each year, DOCSI invites a keynote speaker to spur conversation among families. Author Lythcott-Haims will be discussing parenting, using principles from her book “How To Raise An Adult” Friday at 3:15 p.m.. In her book, she emphasizes how important allowing children to make their own mistakes is toward their development into adults.

Interest sessions will allow families to learn more about the university, while model classes give them a chance to experience life as a student at UM. Classes range from biology to religious studies to architecture.

President Julio Frenk’s first pep rally and barbecue will kick off Friday night at 6 p.m.. There will be barbecued food, a performance by the Band of the Hour and Hurricane cheerleaders, an appearance by Sebastian the Ibis and remarks from President Frenk.

On Saturday, families are invited to attend the football game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at 3:30 p.m. and a screening of “Furious 7” at 9:30 p.m. at Cosford Cinema.

For more information on Family Weekend, visit miami.edu/family-weekend.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...