Campus Life, News, Uncategorized

Family weekend events feature classes, speaker Lythcott-Haims

Mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters of University of Miami students will become honorary Canes on Friday for Family Weekend. The weekend is hosted by the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement (DOCSI) and will have a full schedule of workshops, model classes, resource presentations and feature keynote speaker Julie Lythcott-Haims.

Family Weekend was originally Parents Day when it started in 1987. Then it expanded to become Parents Weekend and, finally, to include the whole family. The university hosts the weekend about a month into the fall semester every year.

“It gives families an opportunity to reconnect with their student and with the larger University of Miami community,” said Aysha Daniels, director of orientation and commuter student involvement.

All classes, meetings and workshops are scheduled for Friday, so families can take the rest of the weekend to explore the U and the rest of Miami.

julielythcotthaims

Lythcott-Haims

Each year, DOCSI invites a keynote speaker to spur conversation among families. Author Lythcott-Haims will be discussing parenting, using principles from her book “How To Raise An Adult” Friday at 3:15 p.m.. In her book, she emphasizes how important allowing children to make their own mistakes is toward their development into adults.

Interest sessions will allow families to learn more about the university, while model classes give them a chance to experience life as a student at UM. Classes range from biology to religious studies to architecture.

President Julio Frenk’s first pep rally and barbecue will kick off Friday night at 6 p.m.. There will be barbecued food, a performance by the Band of the Hour and Hurricane cheerleaders, an appearance by Sebastian the Ibis and remarks from President Frenk.

On Saturday, families are invited to attend the football game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at 3:30 p.m. and a screening of “Furious 7” at 9:30 p.m. at Cosford Cinema.

For more information on Family Weekend, visit miami.edu/family-weekend.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...