Campus Life, News, Uncategorized

Family weekend events feature classes, speaker Lythcott-Haims

Mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters of University of Miami students will become honorary Canes on Friday for Family Weekend. The weekend is hosted by the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement (DOCSI) and will have a full schedule of workshops, model classes, resource presentations and feature keynote speaker Julie Lythcott-Haims.

Family Weekend was originally Parents Day when it started in 1987. Then it expanded to become Parents Weekend and, finally, to include the whole family. The university hosts the weekend about a month into the fall semester every year.

“It gives families an opportunity to reconnect with their student and with the larger University of Miami community,” said Aysha Daniels, director of orientation and commuter student involvement.

All classes, meetings and workshops are scheduled for Friday, so families can take the rest of the weekend to explore the U and the rest of Miami.

julielythcotthaims

Lythcott-Haims

Each year, DOCSI invites a keynote speaker to spur conversation among families. Author Lythcott-Haims will be discussing parenting, using principles from her book “How To Raise An Adult” Friday at 3:15 p.m.. In her book, she emphasizes how important allowing children to make their own mistakes is toward their development into adults.

Interest sessions will allow families to learn more about the university, while model classes give them a chance to experience life as a student at UM. Classes range from biology to religious studies to architecture.

President Julio Frenk’s first pep rally and barbecue will kick off Friday night at 6 p.m.. There will be barbecued food, a performance by the Band of the Hour and Hurricane cheerleaders, an appearance by Sebastian the Ibis and remarks from President Frenk.

On Saturday, families are invited to attend the football game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at 3:30 p.m. and a screening of “Furious 7” at 9:30 p.m. at Cosford Cinema.

For more information on Family Weekend, visit miami.edu/family-weekend.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...