Campus Life, News, Uncategorized

Family weekend events feature classes, speaker Lythcott-Haims

Mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters of University of Miami students will become honorary Canes on Friday for Family Weekend. The weekend is hosted by the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement (DOCSI) and will have a full schedule of workshops, model classes, resource presentations and feature keynote speaker Julie Lythcott-Haims.

Family Weekend was originally Parents Day when it started in 1987. Then it expanded to become Parents Weekend and, finally, to include the whole family. The university hosts the weekend about a month into the fall semester every year.

“It gives families an opportunity to reconnect with their student and with the larger University of Miami community,” said Aysha Daniels, director of orientation and commuter student involvement.

All classes, meetings and workshops are scheduled for Friday, so families can take the rest of the weekend to explore the U and the rest of Miami.

julielythcotthaims

Lythcott-Haims

Each year, DOCSI invites a keynote speaker to spur conversation among families. Author Lythcott-Haims will be discussing parenting, using principles from her book “How To Raise An Adult” Friday at 3:15 p.m.. In her book, she emphasizes how important allowing children to make their own mistakes is toward their development into adults.

Interest sessions will allow families to learn more about the university, while model classes give them a chance to experience life as a student at UM. Classes range from biology to religious studies to architecture.

President Julio Frenk’s first pep rally and barbecue will kick off Friday night at 6 p.m.. There will be barbecued food, a performance by the Band of the Hour and Hurricane cheerleaders, an appearance by Sebastian the Ibis and remarks from President Frenk.

On Saturday, families are invited to attend the football game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at 3:30 p.m. and a screening of “Furious 7” at 9:30 p.m. at Cosford Cinema.

For more information on Family Weekend, visit miami.edu/family-weekend.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...