Campus Life, Health, International, News

Counseling center provides personal care during cultural transition

The University of Miami ranks highly in national standards for diversity, but that does not mean that the process of adjustment is an easy one for the 3,750 international students and scholars who attend the school each year. With that in mind, UM’s Counseling Center decided to create a support group for international students to discuss issues such as homesickness and language barriers.

The group usually meets on Tuesdays from 5-6 p.m. at the Counseling Center and does not follow a set structure. Students can drop in even if they are not regular clients of the Counseling Center. The topic of the day is developed depending on who is there and what kind of challenges attendees have on their mind, explained Patricia Arena, a clinical psychologist at the Counseling Center who is spearheading the initiative.

“My goal is to have a very welcoming and no pressure place where international students can come and talk about whatever is on their mind,” Arena said. “The adjustment process can be a challenge, so this is a place where people can talk and gain support from other people going through something similar.”

The need for the support group is apparent by the number of attendants they’ve received, she said. A number of international students come for individual therapy, and Arena explained that sharing the experience with students experiencing similar issues can be powerful.

“My own experience being an international student back then, when I was an undergraduate studying in France, was that I had to adjust to the culture and find support,” she said. “It’s important to have a group or a safe place, and there is a lot of literature on adjusting that supports the theory.”

While having a support group is already a step in providing a safe environment for international students, freshman Leyi Zhang, a communications student originally from China, believes that international students also need to take individual action to overcome their personal challenges.

“Talking about our problems isn’t the way of resolving them,” Zhang said. “People who have a hard time adjusting to the new environment should definitely try to get out of their comfort zones instead of just talking about it.”

Zhang added that it was her first time at the support group and she was not still experiencing trouble, so she did not plan on returning.

One way for international students to become involved is joining the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), which, like the Counseling Center, also aims to help international students integrate into American culture.

“One of the biggest problems we have is that we’ve been told that UM is very diverse, but ethnicities are always grouped together and they stick within their own groups, which I understand being an international student myself, of course I want to find my people and hang out with them,” said junior Avisha Gopalakrishna, vice president of internal affairs for COISO. “But I think it’s very important that a group like this can help students break barriers between cultures and realize that you don’t have to just group yourselves, there are so many things out there and different ethnicities go through the same problems of being an international student.”

The international student support group has been active for a year, but according to Arena, the Counseling Center is looking to make it a more prominent service.

“The main thing of course is confidentiality, but anyone who’s had an experience or has an interest would be welcome,” Arena said. “Drop-in groups fluctuate in numbers depending on what’s going on in the semester, but if there is one person or 10, we’ll hold the group either way. Our focus is to create that supportive environment.”

The Counseling Center also offers individual therapy, psychiatric services, anxiety management groups, stress management groups and crisis services. For more information visit www.miami.edu/counseling-center.

Sophie Barros

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...