Football, Sports

Miami running back Joseph Yearby shines on field

Any time one player can account for nearly half of a team’s offensive production, it’s safe to say he’s had a good game. For Joseph Yearby on Friday night, that was exactly the case.

In front of a record 30,321 fans at FAU Stadium, Miami’s sophomore running back accounted for 243 of the team’s 526 yards and scored two touchdowns in a 44-20 win over Florida Atlantic.

Despite getting just eight touches in the season opener, the 5-foot-9, 202-pound running back from Miami Central High School was the focal point of the Canes’ offense both on the ground and through the air against FAU.

Along with 18 carries for 146 yards, Yearby also pitched in with three catches for 97 yards in his biggest performance so far at Miami.

“It didn’t really surprise me because I knew how hard I worked throughout the week,” Yearby said when asked about his performance. “My mindset is that one man can’t tackle me. Last year everyone was saying I was too small, too little, so I’m trying to prove everyone wrong this year.

While it was the motivated sophomore that stole the show, freshman Mark Walton had another solid outing in his second game as a Cane. Despite rushing for only 42 yards on 14 carries, Walton punched the ball in for three touchdowns to give him four already this season.

The two Miami natives were rivals in high school at Booker T. Washington and Miami Central, but it’s clear early on that the two have built great chemistry.

“We kept feeding off each other, kept motivating each other,” Walton said of his relationship with Yearby. “When he came out, he said, ‘Just keep it going for me.’”

Walton certainly made sure there was little drop-off from Yearby and gave the Canes a dangerous rushing attack for the second straight game. As the team continues to progress, the running back committee could dictate how successful this team can be in 2015.

The offense hasn’t proven to be as explosive as many predicted coming into the season, especially with injuries to key wide receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley and running back Gus Edwards. If Yearby puts on a show like he did Friday night each week though, it’s safe to say this Miami team has a good chance at winning the ACC Coastal Division for the first time.

The Canes take on Nebraska at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Austin Sapin

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...