Football, Sports

Miami running back Joseph Yearby shines on field

Any time one player can account for nearly half of a team’s offensive production, it’s safe to say he’s had a good game. For Joseph Yearby on Friday night, that was exactly the case.

In front of a record 30,321 fans at FAU Stadium, Miami’s sophomore running back accounted for 243 of the team’s 526 yards and scored two touchdowns in a 44-20 win over Florida Atlantic.

Despite getting just eight touches in the season opener, the 5-foot-9, 202-pound running back from Miami Central High School was the focal point of the Canes’ offense both on the ground and through the air against FAU.

Along with 18 carries for 146 yards, Yearby also pitched in with three catches for 97 yards in his biggest performance so far at Miami.

“It didn’t really surprise me because I knew how hard I worked throughout the week,” Yearby said when asked about his performance. “My mindset is that one man can’t tackle me. Last year everyone was saying I was too small, too little, so I’m trying to prove everyone wrong this year.

While it was the motivated sophomore that stole the show, freshman Mark Walton had another solid outing in his second game as a Cane. Despite rushing for only 42 yards on 14 carries, Walton punched the ball in for three touchdowns to give him four already this season.

The two Miami natives were rivals in high school at Booker T. Washington and Miami Central, but it’s clear early on that the two have built great chemistry.

“We kept feeding off each other, kept motivating each other,” Walton said of his relationship with Yearby. “When he came out, he said, ‘Just keep it going for me.’”

Walton certainly made sure there was little drop-off from Yearby and gave the Canes a dangerous rushing attack for the second straight game. As the team continues to progress, the running back committee could dictate how successful this team can be in 2015.

The offense hasn’t proven to be as explosive as many predicted coming into the season, especially with injuries to key wide receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley and running back Gus Edwards. If Yearby puts on a show like he did Friday night each week though, it’s safe to say this Miami team has a good chance at winning the ACC Coastal Division for the first time.

The Canes take on Nebraska at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Austin Sapin

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...