Sports, Volleyball

Hurricanes volleyball goes 2-0 in LSU Tournament

The Hurricanes took Baton Rouge by storm over the weekend, defeating No. 20 Purdue and host Louisiana State in tough matches in the LSU Tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

Although they lost all three matches in the Missouri State Tournament in Missouri last week, the Canes left Louisiana with two impressive wins despite the hostile environment.

Miami (5-3) kicked off the tournament with a five-set win over ranked Purdue Saturday night. The Canes took the first two sets 25-19 and dropped the following two sets 26-24 only to recover to win the fifth and final set 15-13. It was Miami’s first win over a ranked opponent on the road since the team defeated Wisconsin in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Dec. 7, 2002.

“It’s a huge win for our program,” head coach Jose Gandara said to HurricaneSports.com. “Purdue is a good team and they fought us tough. I’m proud of the way the girls played after disappointing games 3 and 4. It was exciting to see them understand the situation and respond.”

Sophomore outside hitter Olga Strantzali sealed the victory with a service ace after the Canes won three points in a row to take a 14-13 lead in the final set. The second-year player from Greece led Miami with a team-high 18 kills. She was one of three players for Miami to finish the match with double-digit kills along with senior Taylor Scott (14) and junior Kelsie Groot (13).

The Canes opened Sunday afternoon’s match against LSU by taking the first set 25-23, but dropped the second set 25-20. Miami rebounded to take the next two sets 25-20 and 25-23.

The Tigers had no answer for redshirt senior middle blocker Alexis Mourning. The imposing Texan led Miami in kills (14), blocks (6) and in attack percentage (.542).

However, it was Scott, the outside hitter from Claremont, California, who earned Tournament MVP honors and was named the ACC Player of the Week for women’s volleyball on Monday. Scott finished the tournament in Baton Rouge with a team-high 28 kills and 35 digs, just two behind senior Kalysta White for most on the team.

The Canes close out non-conference play with the FIU/Miami Challenge at the Knight Sports Complex this week. Miami faces Seattle University at 7 p.m. on Thursday and Central Florida at 7 p.m. on Friday.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...